Claro Walnut \ torrified Adi 12 Fret 00 Finished!

Danl8

Re: Claro Walnut \ torrified Adi 12 Fret 00

Post by Danl8 »

Love the veneer; artful design and superb execution. I really like how you've modeled the pegbox sides next to the volute. Snakewood buttons? The tuners fit the look perfectly.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks, Yes snakewood buttons on Waverly tuners.

I have the body prepped. On my last guitar well into a FP of the top I noticed a glue finger print flashing when I moved a light. Absolutely invisible while I was finishing. I use a glue that fluoresces in a black light and I have a black light. So this time before applying any finish I checked my surfaces with the black light and cleaned off any glue spots that I found.

I finished the prep fill and started to pore fill. Here is the guitar where the back and sides have a coat of zpoxy and the top is sealed with shellac,

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

While waiting for the zpoxy to cure, I cut out my hawk in moon logo. I posted this before, but I am getting faster. Also now the parts fit as soon as I am done cutting. Over time keeping the blade perpendicular to the pearl becomes second nature and I just focus on following the line. Here is a pictorial of the process.

Last edited by johnnparchem on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John J

Post by John J »

Looking very nice indeed! Love all the pictures.
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks John,

I finished my prep work and have sprayed my first coat of EM6000 a water based lacquer. My prep was z-poxy fill followed by a wash coat of blond shellac. In between the z-poxy and the shellac I spent a bit of time looking for gaps. I filled binding gaps with shellac and saw dust and I filled some rosette gaps with thick CA glue. All of these gaps were very thin, but I have learned that they get magnified with finish. I am padding on Royal Lac for the neck.

Here are some pictures of the guitar completely prepped for the lacquer spray.

Here is the body with the first coat of lacquer (still wet)

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished spraying at let it rest for 5 days as per manufacture instruction. I placed the bridge and used a scalpel to mark out the bridge location and the fret board extension. I did this before any level sanding as I have learned that I end up marring the finish during this process. Before clearing the unwanted finish I level sanded the finish to P800 with a random orbital sander and buffed it out. I waited to clear the finish as I did not want any polishing compound on the wood where I am going to glue down the bridge.

I took a few teaser photos, cleared out the finish in the bridge and fret board area and am currently using my vacuum clamp to glue down the bridge.

johnnparchem

Re: Claro Walnut \ torrified Adi 12 Fret 00 Finished!

Post by johnnparchem »

It is all strung up. I have done no set up work yet as I like to wait a bit. But I made the nut and saddle so that they are close to final. The instrument sounds OK for the first 10 minutes strung up.

geoawelch

Post by geoawelch »

That is an exquisite looking guitar. Just gorgeous.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Beautiful John. Oh do I love walnut. Great combinations of wood.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Jhon very nice as usual ... I want one of those work benches that look like a pool table too!
I do enjoy you sharing your builds. Thanks