My drum sander bit the dust yesterday

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
mnmusic

Re: My drum sander bit the dust yesterday

Post by mnmusic »

Kevin,

Based on what I can see in the pictures, that should be repairable by a reasonably competent machinist. They should be able to pin the broken piece back in place and then weld it back on. This is all based on what I can see from the pictures though. It might be worth taking the drum and the broken piece to a few machine shops in your area and see what they say. Just guessing on the dimensions of the part, I looked at the cost of the raw materials to make a new one from scratch and it'd be about $150 in materials. In the end, if the quotes you get from the machinists are too high, then it probably would be best just to bite the bullet and order a new part from Amazon, or somewhere else that has them in stock.

Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed I sure appreciate your offer, interest, and insight. I will probably go the "buy the new drum" route but I'm still wondering if I should sell the motors for parts, if someone will buy them, and then look for another used sander, like a Performax or Jet. I see them around $500 to $700 on CL, but not too often in my area. I'm getting some help with the drum this weekend, and will see what the outcome is from that.

Kevin
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Good luck Kevin. I hope you can get it fixed at a reasonable cost.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

So, Sunday we could not pull, knock, or otherwise, get those bearings off the drum shafts, so since the drum was not usable anyway, we cut the shafts off on drum side of the bearings, then mounted the shaft with the bearing on it in the lathe, and drilled out the aluminum shaft...did this to both, and the bearings came out fine.
So, the drum is out of the housing.
I went ahead and ordered a drum assembly, and while I was at it, I have new bearings coming too. I figured for another $15, why not start out with new bearings. These will be a press fit, so that might be a bit of a challenge. I can't heat up the bearings because the seal is plastic, but I might be able to freeze the shafts if needed so I can slip those bearings on easier. If I can't gently tap them into place, I'll take it to a machine shop and have them pressed on. They have to be installed with the drum in the housing.
So hopefully next week I'll have my sander back together and running. I'll keep you all updated.

Kevin
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Thanks for the update Kevin. It sounds like you've got a good plan to get it fixed.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

The new drum and bearings are here. Saturday's project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Cool! That's got to be cheaper than buying a new sander.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

The new drum is in!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Yea! glad to see it together,
Kevin Sjostrand

I got a new spider for the motor coupling today, it is all back together and looks to run great. Tomorrow I'll check the height alignment wrap paper and be back in business.