Restoring hand planes

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Restoring hand planes

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

You might consider passing along the Shelton. They were considered homeowner's planes and are not very easy to use. The frog is a rather flimsy affair, and that is what a plane is all about - how rigid the blade is held. The early Bedrock, however, is among the best you can own.

Ed
Ed M
Phil

Post by Phil »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Ed, this guy has some good documentation on what he does.

http://lumberjocks.com/Dcase/blog/series/3462

Thanks for that link, lots of good info on there!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed, I fiddled around with the Shelton adjuster a bit and although unique, I did find it very quirky, but haven't looked at the frog, etc. It is overall in very good condition.
How much will you give me for it? ha ha. I may just put it on the shelf in the shop for display.

I'm pretty excited about the Bedrock. The lever cap is worn at the bottom with some chips, but I can file those down. A previous owner stamped his initials into the side of the base (pretty typical I've seen). So the collector value might not be there, but it will be cool to own and use.
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey I haven't put up a picture in a few months as this is the first great find I've made in awhile.
It is a Stanley Bailey 5 1/4 made in the 1929-1930 time. It is near perfect, with just a little bit of chip on the very top edge of the tote. The rest of the wood is great. No cracks, and I don't expect there to be much pitting if any. The blade is near 100%. I am pretty excited as this is the first 5 1/4 I've come across, and for $10, how can you go wrong. When ever I can get it cleaned up I'll show an "after" pic too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Now you got me doing it. At a charity auction I picked up two planes for $15 One is a Stanley Bailey No. 5 the other a smaller cheaper looking plane a Defiance.

The Stanley has a broken handle the Defiance is just dirty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I just finished a clean up on a Bailey Stanley No. 6. Would never have gotten around to doing it, if not for this thread. Got this one for $5 at the local auction.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

The Defiance is a Stanley second line, however, the only difference is a slightly weaker blade bedding on the frog. The blade is the same quality as all other Stanley's of its era. For 95% of your planing needs, that one will do just fine. It is only when you get to smoothing gnarly wood that it helps to have a better blade bedding like a Bedrock, L-N, or one of those Norris types.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You guys know I love planes and I've cleaned up a couple I've gotten from the flea market or Ebay. Personally, I don't have the funds for top of the line planes, and I've had to start from square one to gather tools to build guitars. In particular, my vintage Craftsman smooth plane and my English Stanley low angle G12-060, have powered through some very old, hard, gnarly cherry and walnut.

You all have great finds and you've done a superb job restoring them. I have an old Stanley and a "no name " plane, both 6" block planes, owned by my great grandfather that I need to work on. Maybe I'll get to that this winter.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Awesome you guys. I have a number 6 that I also got for $5 that is very good other than a little break off of the very end on the side. I have it de-rusted but not done anything else with it yet. It will need the tote and knob replace too, but looking forward to getting it done. I think I have around 8 planes apart in boxes waiting for restore....Yikes!