Restoring hand planes

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Restoring hand planes

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well Boys, I'm not done yet.
I picked these up last Monday at the local flea market. $5 for the Stanley #6 fore plane. It is a type 6, made between 1888 and 1892. Small chip off the rear side and a hole drilled in the sole for hanging, top of tote broken off, but otherwise, this baby is complete and should clean up nicely.
In the box is a complete Fulton (made by Sargent) #3 in really good condition, even the wood is usable although it is not rosewood. Then there is a Stanley Defiance #3 restorable but missing the iron, and a Bailey #4 with a broken but welded sole, and an iron that has been sharpened to the slot. So this one is for parts only. And then there were two old soldering coppers and two old wrenches, and a cheapo block plane almost new. Got that whole box for $5.
Fun fun fun. I'll share pics when there is some restoring done!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Here I go again.
Found these today. #3 size Fulton made by Millers Falls, Probably a 1930's to 50's vintage in very very good condition, and a #4 size Lakeside made by Sargent that I'm guessing is from around the 30's. The Lakeside is much rougher, but all there and intact, just some pitting it looks like on the iron/chipbreaker. Haven't gotten it apart yet. :) $11 for both.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

The fun continues!
I visited my parents yesterday and a friend of my Dad's picked these two planes up for me at a local yard sale. Lovely!
Both are #4 size. The Sargent is a VBM (Very Best Made), everything is there and in good shape, I date it made between 1910 and 1918. This is a keeper, very usable.
The other is a Shelton. It was not a big seller in the day as best I can tell. It is also all there, good wood and all, with a unique adjuster that they used before the switched over the the Stanley style blade, cap iron and lever cap arrangement. Shelton made planes between 1931 and 1950. It seems this one was probably made in the 30's.

Just thought I'd share. I now have about 7 planes waiting to be restored!
Phil

Post by Phil »

What are you using to remove all of the rust from these planes?
Kevin Sjostrand

Hi Phil,
I've used "Evapo-Rust", a product you can get at auto part stores like O'Reilys, and I've used the electrolysis method; water with sodium carbonate in it, and electrical current from a car battery charger. Both work really well to remove the rust. If you want to keep the japanning, then don't use electrolysis, it will remove the paint.
I've read that citric acid works well too.
The Evapo-Rust is about $24 a gallon, but you can do many planes, or whatever. It is also a non-toxic non-hazardous product that cleans up with water.

Are you going to try it? Fixing these old planes up is a lot of fun.

Kevin
Phil

Post by Phil »

I just looked it up online and I can get Evapo-Rust locally so I may have to try it out!
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Anybody have any web links to refurbishing hand planes? I've got a couple I got from flea markets some time ago that need some TLC.

Thanks,
Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

A couple more scores.
The first one is a Stanley Bedrock 605, Type 4 made between 1908 and 1910. Found it on Craigslist for $10. Had to have it mailed, but for $23 total I consider it a steal. It should clean up nicely. The lever cap at the bottom is worn a bit but overall in great shape.

The second one is another Stanley #4 smooth bottom, flea market find for $6. It is a type 16 made between 1933 and 1941. Other than the break in the tote, in wonderful condition.
Fun fun fun.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, this guy has some good documentation on what he does.

http://lumberjocks.com/Dcase/blog/series/3462
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Ed, this guy has some good documentation on what he does.

http://lumberjocks.com/Dcase/blog/series/3462

Thanks a bunch Kevin.

Ed