Old Egmond guitars

Zen

Old Egmond guitars

Post by Zen »

Just been working on an old Egmond acoustic from the late 50s /60s . This one belongs to a friend but my very first guitar was an Egmond that I bought in 1968 for 4 shillings here in Ireland. Its a bit of a pig to work on and they were cheap and cheerful back in the day, but those of us who could not afford expensive American guitars would usually start off with one of these and hopefully move up to a Yamaha or similar, and then only the chosen few could move up to the holy grail that was Martin.

The reason I brought up this subject is to share something I found out about the neck adjustment on the Egmond. Instead of the neck bolt going in through the soundhole as most of us do with a bolt on neck I found that this one is different. The neck screw/bolt goes in through the top of the heel and is easily accessible. So, to adjust the neck angle of the guitar just a quick turn of this screw bolt with a screw driver brings the neck angle up or down as needed---simple !! Why are all guitar necks not built this way ??
I have not yet taken off the neck to investigate how this works inside but it looks very simple from the outside.

Here is a link to the old site that was once Egmond guitars--very interesting . http://www.egmond.se/egmond_se_History.html

I will try post some pics later if the site will allow me but I had no luck last time even though John was good enough to help me try. When I click on IMG nothing happens and I dont get a prompt to select a pic--I assume that's how it should work ? Anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks .
RUSTY
tippie53

Re: Old Egmond guitars

Post by tippie53 »

interesting post and links
fun to see the old history of this and the tie ins with some of Britans best
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

My first guitar was an Egmond. When I was in high school on Long Island, my brother worked at Sorkin Music, and they imported Egmond guitars. This was late '70's, and the guitar was a Gibson Dove-ish type guitar.

Glenn
Zen

Post by Zen »

tippie53 wrote:interesting post and links
fun to see the old history of this and the tie ins with some of Britans best
John, Have you ever come across their neck adjustment system or perhaps that was a common enough method back in the day.

Rusty
RUSTY
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Personally have not seen it but I am aware of it. The vega connection was new to me. I wasn't aware of that. I knew Martin bought the Vega brand.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com