Impact cracks in wood/finish on my Martin D-16GT

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
nkwak

Impact cracks in wood/finish on my Martin D-16GT

Post by nkwak »

I bought this guitar 5 years ago with the blessing of my wife for my 40th birthday. One day while feeding the kiddos while serenading them the end pin slipped out and the guitar swung and hit the floor, putting a couple of deep cracks in the lower bout up against the binding. While I haven't really bonded with the guitar I feel terrible about my carelessness but doubted my abilities to repair it. Here are a couple of pics:

As you can see, the crack goes beyond the finish and indent a section of the top between the two cracks. How would you go about repairing this? I have an idea but before I share it I'd like to hear what some of you accomplished repair folks would do.
~ Neil
tippie53

Re: Impact cracks in wood/finish on my Martin D-16GT

Post by tippie53 »

that is repairable . I would work glue into the joint. HHG or fish glue. CA will work but may stain the top yellow. You also want to clamp the top flat as the glue sets.
once the glue is dry you can address the finish issues.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, John. Is Titebond an option? If not I have HHG granules from StewMac I could try and mix up.
~ Neil
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes but you have to work that into the cracks very carefully. Then clamp the top so the face of the cracks are flush. Once the cracks are set you can work on finish ouch up
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
leon2982

Post by leon2982 »

by careful are you referring to making sure titebond gets down in the crack good?

thanks
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

tippie53 wrote:yes but you have to work that into the cracks very carefully. Then clamp the top so the face of the cracks are flush. Once the cracks are set you can work on finish ouch up
Sorry this took so long to respond to. I'm perpetually dipping my toe in the pool. I'm considering on selling it and don't want to pass off a headache to the next owner - even if I take another 10% off the price if this bumps the guitar down to "fair" condition. FWIW it's been a few years and the cracks appear to be stable and the guitar is otherwise in good condition with no buzzes or compromise in action.

The finish is what concerns me the most. Am I to assume that it is Nitro that is UV cured? What on the after market can I use to blend in with the existing finish?
~ Neil
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nitro is not uv cured . This can also be fixed with GluBood fill and finish. A CA product that would be perfect. this is flexible and will even help with the crack. Apply and let cure over night. You may need a few applications to get it to fill the finish area then level sand buff and polish
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Isn't that supposed to be Gluboost? (http://store.gluboost.com/)
tippie53 wrote:nitro is not uv cured . This can also be fixed with GluBood fill and finish. A CA product that would be perfect. this is flexible and will even help with the crack. Apply and let cure over night. You may need a few applications to get it to fill the finish area then level sand buff and polish
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes gluboost
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I hate to bump and old zombie thread but I had an "awwwwww CRAP!" moment and I think that things may have initially been worse than I had.

Just to revisit the original issue, the end pin slipped out and the guitar swing cantilever fashion with its remaining contact point being at the tie to the headstock - that is until the lower bout came crashing down on the floor with a sickening cacophony of notes that almost masked the crack noise.

Initial inspection showed that the binding took the worst of the impact so I left it be. Over time the tone of the guitar actually improved so that after 8 years I feel like I've finally bonded with it. Enough so that I have started bringing it to church. Usually I play my smaller K&K equipped Larrivee OM-03R but I'd put a JJB330 in this Martin and it projects better during practice so that our pianist can hear it.

Being a dread it's unwieldly though so I finally installed a strap button on the treble side of the heel and didn't screw it up. I was looking forward to playing it at a dinner last Wednesday night and having a backup in altered tuning for a duet with the pianist but something happened that has me feeling sick.

I'm not a gigging acoustic musician so I rely on an electric amplfier. The model is not important other than it's 40 pounds and caused me to throw out my back one year. It's also top-heavy and I didn't load things up properly. One sharp right turn and it fell over - onto the Martin's case and the impact was LOUD. Not like it had cracked the guitar but it really jarred the cheap 300 series case. I tended to the short drive but had a sick feeling that something wouldn't be right.

When I inspected the guitar upon my arrival I didn't notice any change to the surface cracks but a light knuckle rapping in the area was met with the dull thud of a separated brace in the area. I am positively SICK.
~ Neil