D28 Project Assistance

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
padma

Re: D28 Project Assistance

Post by padma »

Clean out the mortise with a chisel.

Tool the tenon to fit properly.

If you have to add new wood .. so what...just make that tenon fit the mortise.

Making the stick fit in the the hole is the oldest game in the book, no big deal,

little chiselin here, mayby some gluein there and wahmo you got a neck stuck on the body...simple eh.
pryde

Post by pryde »

OK working through the project and it has taken FOREVER to get the neck angle good but I think it is ok. I am getting 1/8" at the joint and 1/4" above the bridge area.

One maybe issue I see is there is a .010" gap at the bottom of the heel (see photo) that just wont close. It is only on the bass side and the other side is tight. Should I address this and if so how? I have trued the cheek and the body but it still wont close? Otherwise the dovetail is very tight and pinching good.

Also looking at center-line next, assuming the rear binding cap is centered (not 100% sure), the pencil line is not quite center with the cap center. Should I center the neck up with the cap right now or is this close enough?

Thanks for the help moving forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pryde

Post by pryde »

OK I have made some good progress following the neck-set videos and just finished getting the dovetail dropped. I am "near" flush at the dovetail/body and got an 1/8" rise above the bridge area.

The joint looks pretty good overall with just a very slight gap down at the heel end between the body which I believe the finish will easily take care of this

I need to block-sand the dovetail/top a bit to even everything out but I can't pull the fret board pins out for anything. Any ideas?

Thanks
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

the pins to help align the fret board before gluing? Try vice grips, you could pull a wood screw out with those.
pryde

Post by pryde »

johnnparchem wrote:the pins to help align the fret board before gluing? Try vice grips, you could pull a wood screw out with those.
Yes those. In the video John pulls his out rather easily in the video and then block sands the dovetail/body surface to true everything up.

No go with vise-grips unfortunately
pryde

Post by pryde »

Also while I am here, the builder cut the top brace grooves too deep on the sides and there is a void (about 1/16" thick x 1/2") in a few spots around the sides.

Hos would you guys go about patching these voids up? THanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I had the notch-too-deep problem too. I fixed it by a combination of a) slightly wider binding and b) a little sliver of a patch for the one notch where the wider binding still wasn't enough to cover it. Thanks to the open pores of the black walnut I used, it's difficult to find.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
pryde

Post by pryde »

Resurrecting this thread. Had to put this down as life got in the way but going to start chipping away at it. To recap I was able to shape the dovetail and get a decent fit so I am moving forward. Now since I don't have a instructions I am not sure the steps and sequence to get this truss rod and neck attached.

a) is the truss rod in correct in the picture (right side up) or does it need flipped?

b) am I to glue the neck joint THEN install the truss rod? This seams difficult as it needs to be fed at an angle down into the body end but then needs to lay straight and the bolt end pushed through the hole in the brace.

I appreciate some proper steps outlined to get this part done. Thank you!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have not used that rod, but it looks right side up. I would install the rod, I use a small bead of silicon glue and then glue on the fret board. I glue in the neck after I put finish on the guitar.
pryde

Post by pryde »

johnnparchem wrote:I have not used that rod, but it looks right side up. I would install the rod, I use a small bead of silicon glue and then glue on the fret board. I glue in the neck after I put finish on the guitar.
Thank you. I have been fiddling with doing a dry-fit and couldn't get it to all fit. I had to file away some of the top brace in order for the truss rod nut to clear under there. Man what a pain.

Per your recommendation I don't think I will be able to get the glued neck/truss rod/fret board loaded onto the body if all one piece. The dovetail has to fit straight down and then the truss rod nut won't clear that gap on the top. Maybe hard t to explain so hope I am making sense.

I think the only way I can do it is to first glue the neck, then load/fit the truss rod, then glue the fret board on last.