I want to buy a kit....

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
stevegullick

I want to buy a kit....

Post by stevegullick »

Hi John
I have just about completed my first guitar – a Stewmac 000 and I am delighted with it. All thanks to you and your forum and videos. I have made loads of mistakes, but have learned from all of them.
Now, my ‘playing’ guitar is a Martin HD28V which I love the sound of, but hate the fixed saddle bridge and modified V neck – so I was thinking of selling it and making something similar.
What I am looking for in a kit is a Martin Dread with forward shifted bracing, ebony fretboard with the slots pre-cut, a good quality soundboard with the rosette rings pre cut though not fitted. Back and front pre joined and a dovetail pre (rough)shaped mahogany neck.
I am slightly wary of Martin Kits as I am told they use reject wood from the factory for them.
Can you help. Any idea of cost and shipping to the UK?

Thanks

Steve
Ben-Had

Re: I want to buy a kit....

Post by Ben-Had »

I wouldn't be real concerned about "reject or 2nd" wood from Martin. I have use many of their 2nd and most of the issues they reject them for is cosmetic and not structural. If there is a small pin hole, knot or similar blemish it gets rejected. To me, many of the things they reject for make for character in the wood and look of the guitar. In fact, I rather prefer that over perfectly straight grained wood that looks like it was photo shopped.

Having said all that, John's kits are excellent so no need to even go anywhere else:)
Tim Benware