fingerboard binding

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
edbanas

fingerboard binding

Post by edbanas »

I am building a dread kit from LMI. Things seem to be going well. When I ordered the kit I requested a fretboard with the fret slots cut and the top radiused. The video that accompanied the kit describes how to bind the board. I purchased binding for that purpose. The problem is this: If I glue the binding on the sides of the fretboard with the bottom of the binding flush with the bottom of the fretboard as the video suggests, the binding will be slightly proud of the edge of the radiused fretboard. Should I simply gently sand the binding to the contour of the fretboard? Should I try to gently sand the binding so it is square to the fretboard but only as thick of the radiused edge? (BTW, my spell checker hates the word "radiuses") Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, what radius does the dread fretboard commonly have? Thanks in advance.
David L

Re: fingerboard binding

Post by David L »

What I did was glue the binding flush to the bottom of the FB and used a radiused sanding block (the same radius as the FB) to knock down the proud edges flush with the FB. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it and you'll probably hear from some others on how they do it.

David L

Post by   »

Hello edbanas,
Welcome to the KGF.
Radii?? Radia??

-tommy
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Is your fretboard already sized? If so adding binding is going to make it too wide and you'll have to trim both sides first down the width of your binding. Then you glue it on flush with the bottom and sand down the top all flush.

Kevin