www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: guitar vise
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 am 
Thought I'd post photos of the guitar vice I came up with. Used two of the long clamps from home depot that I already had. Notched a couple 2x2s to fit over the bars and clamped the whole works down to my workbench. It is plenty sturdy, and sets up and takes down pretty quickly.

Rick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: guitar vise
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:21 am 

IIIIIIII like it!

Tim B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am 
A couple of things that will ruin you day for sure --- having the body slide all the way through the caul and bounce on the floor and also applying too much pressure to the back arch and popping a brace glue joint. Here's a couple suggested improvments. Fabricate an articulating/hinge caul that will automatically compensate for the contours and a stretchy fabric sling to prevent the body from falling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:18 pm 

Wow. Mine is a combination of the two. I have the pony clamps (like in Ken's) and the cauls (like in Rick's). I use pipe foam over the bars to protect the body. But have to admit I'm always a little concerned about dropping bumping into the metal etc. when I use this setup. Can't remembe where I found this design, probably on here somewhere.

Tim B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:42 pm 
I spaced the clamps so that the body can't fall through (at least until I make something narrower than a 000). I also have the bars covers with pipe foam to protect the body.The clamp caul faces are also padded with foam. The clamps don't have to be tightened too much to hold the body firmly, so cracking the top or popping a brace shouldn't be an issue.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm 

rhagen wrote:
I spaced the clamps so that the body can't fall through (at least until I make something narrower than a 000). I also have the bars covers with pipe foam to protect the body.The clamp caul faces are also padded with foam. The clamps don't have to be tightened too much to hold the body firmly, so cracking the top or popping a brace shouldn't be an issue.

Rick

Yeah, mine seem to work good too. I have 1/8" foam (left over from a Texas holdem table I made) glued to flexible ply (looks just like yours) and it seems to form nicely.

Tim B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:27 pm 
Great thread!

In my "poor man's version", the "sling" to prevent drop-thru is a chair that I slide under while I'm adjusting.

I use a threaded rod with a keyhole set-up for quick engagement and then tightening. The main cross members are thin plywood, so that they flex to the contour of the guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm 

I did the dangerous kind....

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 am 

I did the pipe clamps, and spaced them so the guitar can not fall through, any way you clamp it; ala Bill Cory's book. However, you can not tighten down too much. I have not cracked one yet thankfully.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am 

My "guitar vise" always applies the correct amount of pressure without any adjustment screws or clamps. I hold it between my knees and use a small padded bench or step stool to keep the guitar from dropping down. It has worked for three guitars so far. Though, this fancy pants clamp you guys use is pretty nice too.

Tony