Something different (hope you don't mind) from BYOGuitar.com

justrfb

Something different (hope you don't mind) from BYOGuitar.com

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
We took delivery of our ordered BYOGuitar.com Fender licensed Stratocaster kit last evening. The kit includes a beautiful 3 piece Ash body cut and shaped right in their own shop in New Hampshire (I believe), a MightyMight 22 fret Canadian "rock hard" Maple neck with the tell tale Walnut "skunk strip" on the back, we went with the White 3 layer SSS pick guard loaded with upgraded Tonerider Classic Blues Pups and a classic Vintage Strat Tremolo. I am very impressed with the quality of all the pieces in this kit, especially considering the cost of cut wood pieces from a few of the other kit piece providers. Our kit (all parts needed to complete the guitar) delivered with the upgraded Pups is in the $350.00 range.
This is my second kit built guitar. I finished a "Martin" D-18 from a kit for our son Willie. I build, he plays... I can't play a note to save my life. He has several guitars in his collection, but his "go to" is his unmolested '98 Fender American Standard Strat, black body, white pick guard with Rosewood fretboard. He asked for a Strat with a Maple fretboard and I figured I built him an acoustic, why not build him a solid body?...
Willie (13 years old) picked out Krylon Dual Paint and Primer "Banner Red" for the color. I think it is a really nice color and will look awesome with the 3 ply white - black - white pick guard and the Maple neck. I sanded the body last evening and filled with PT-40 Z Poxy mixed with Micro Balloons. I will sand tonight, maybe shoot a coat or two of lacquer sanding sealer in preparation for the primer coats next... I will upload pictures tonight when I am home.
Willie and I look forward to your input and suggestions. Thanks so much for your interest and concern. If we are not supposed to put a solid body build on here, just let me know and I will not post.

Sincerely,
Rich
justrfb

Re: Something different (hope you don't mind) from BYOGuitar

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
I did not get to post pictures due to life happenings... We went to visit my Mom to bring her another muumuu dress as that is all she can wear now and to visit my father-in-law to fix his clothes dryer. My Mom is in her final days, basically confined to either her lounge chair or her bed, continuously connected to an oxygen machine fighting the rigors of cancer... She appears to be about to finally lose her battle with ovarian cancer that has metastasized to her whole body. Also, we just lost my mother-in-law in July to a massive heart attack and we are all, especially my father-in-law, having a tough time adjusting to the very sudden change. Stay close to your loved ones and tell them you love them often. It makes building these beautiful instruments that much better...
I will try to post pictures tonight.

Sincerely,
Rich

Post by   »

At a time like this, pictures aren't a high priority.
Stay strong. We will keep you and yours in our thoughts.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Not all facts of life are fun. We went through a similar situation a few years back.
Hang in there; better days are coming.
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Thanks for the kind words and support. I appreciate it. My Mom is on many pain killers and sleeping a lot and my father-in-law is OK. Annemarie and I talked to them both this afternoon.
A solid body is much easier than an acoustic!... But just as fun. Here are some pictures.

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
A little update... My Mom was called on by Jesus early morning, Friday, October 4, 2013 (Feast of St. Francis of Assisi). Just finished up a few crazy days of wakes and funeral Mass. This all after going through the same thing in the middle of July for my Mother in law, who was called on by Jesus suddenly as she had lunch at Red Lobster with my Father in law. We all bear our crosses... I got down in my shop a short while last evening (nice break) and I continue filling and sanding the body. I will be spraying the first color coat real soon and will sand that off too (paint is Krylon Primer and Paint together) then will spray several color coats, see how it looks and will probably end up with several clear coats too. I continue to add Tru-Oil coats to the neck. Our daughter is creating the decal today. Will take pictures soon enough... Thanks for following along.

Sincerely,
Rich
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Rich,

My deepest sympathy and my condolences. Losing a parent is very hard.
The Stratocaster project looks fun, especially with your daughter involved.

John
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
It has been a while... I hope all is well. I am moving slowly along with this build. I have been having a heck of a time with the color coats... I am spraying (rattle can) Duplicolor Paint and Primer together. It is a lacquer. The neck is a thing of beauty. All I have been doing is coats of Tru-Oil (my all time favorite) and a water slide decal. Question... Do I shoot the clear over the color then wet sand to a polish or do I wet sand and polish the color coats, shoot the clear and sand and polish again? The body had some spots where it looks like the paint wants to crinkle and peel... I sanded them and got sand through so I re shot all the color coats. It is better but there is a spot or two doing the same thing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, is my clear compatible with my color coats? Can't figure that on eout and I have been looking for a while... Thanks and Happy Thanks giving.

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Rich, my sincerest condolences on losing family. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

On the build.....it's looking great!
Slacker......
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Making some progress... Took a while to get the body close to where I would l have liked it. Get Micro-Mesh! The stuff is amazing. Some pictures... I am enjoying this build but really can't wait to get back to building another acoustic... I miss it! Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,
Rich