Hardware-based Neck Joint by William Cumpiano

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
OverThere

Hardware-based Neck Joint by William Cumpiano

Post by OverThere »

I don't know if this'll be "a big surprise" to anyone else here, but I got pretty excited when I discovered it online.

William Cumpiano published on his website a drawing and explanation of the hardware-based neck joint he now prefers for all his acoustic guitar builds or so he says.

It involves just two knock-down (KD) barrel-and-bolt sets (like for Ikea furniture assembly) and appears to make removal of the neck a lot less freightening(!). No dovetail and a lot less glue.

Here's the link:
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/S ... block.html
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Hardware-based Neck Joint by William Cumpiano

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

It involves just two knock-down (KD) barrel-and-bolt sets (like for Ikea furniture assembly) and appears to make removal of the neck a lot less freightening(!). No dovetail and a lot less glue.

I have built beds, tables, and workbenches with home-made versions of this joint over the last 30 years, and they work great. Invisible if you design them right, very strong, and removable.

But I don't see an advantage in this joint over the standard bolt on neck with the insert in the end grain of the end of the neck. The insert is much easier to install than the barrels would be.

I am not aware that this standard joint is a structural problem, although I did see a description of how to repair an insert that has pulled out, so someone has had trouble with it. Perhaps an insert that is twice as long would prevent any pulling out.

Ed Minch
Ed M
Tom West

Re: Hardware-based Neck Joint by William Cumpiano

Post by Tom West »

This type of joint is used by a large number of folks, myself included.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "