ASIA Symposium 2013

Get Togethers, Workshops, Open Houses (Any Place, Any Size)
DavisLee

ASIA Symposium 2013

Post by DavisLee »

John and All,

Looking forward to meeting many of you at the symposium this week, am really looking forward to the many sessions...they all look so interesting, the toughest thing is to pick which to attend when some of them occur in different tracks during the same time slots. Looks to be loaded with helpful info for us neophytes at lutherie, packing up the car now.
tippie53

Re: ASIA Symposium 2013

Post by tippie53 »

Tomorrow is the big day
Have a safe trip in. and I look forward to seeing you all
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bobcef

Post by bobcef »

Leaving in the AM. Looking forward to a good time with old and new friends.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Bob and I met at the 2003 Symposium that Rick Davis put on in Westminster MD. I am proud to say Bob and I have become good friends. I also cout Rick in that list. To anyone that makes it , feel free to pop in and say Hi.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Got back this morning. Tired, but here is a brief report.
I got to hang out with a few great friends, Glenn LaSalle, Jimmie Hall, Mike Wendt and Doug Moore and his daughter Kennedy. To you guys and gals, thanks . Without your help the loading and unloading would have been a battle. You also help me more than you know.

I had 3 presentations, Binding, Compensation and Compression fretting. The latter 2 are recorded and will be posted on Facebook for those that were unable to attend. It was great to see old friends. Al Carruth, Sylvan Wells, Linda Manzer, the guys and gals from LMI, Bob, Pete from RC and Carl Barney, Dick Boak and Dave Nichols. My fellow Board Members from ASIA, and so many new members.

My friends at Martin were there and it was great, they gave me a prototype guitar for the binding demo. A few of the Members were there. Richard Klutz is a nice guy to hang out with. Still, I am pooped and hope that those who didn't make it will meet me at the next one.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Sounds like a great time, makes me want to live on the right coast.

Kevin
bobcef

Post by bobcef »

As always enjoyed hanging out with you my friend.
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

Great first time ASIA experience! Thanks, John and Nadine, for encouraging me to join and attend...very impressed with the quality of individuals, professionalism of the presentations and generosity in sharing info, made some new friends. Stayed in town until Monday in order to "re-tour" the Martin factory with things in full swing (had earlier taken the late Friday afternoon tour when only a skeleton crew was still working)...well worth it and also made a visit to the Guitarmaker's Connection where I met Gail and Liz who were very helpful in getting me some supplies as well as some very affordable side rejects for practicing wood bending and a neck second to use as a good example of carving around the volute area (photos and DVD are one thing but having the actual physical specimen to hold and see firsthand really helps).

Can't wait for the next event!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

For those that missed the SYMPOSIUM we are going to post in entirety 2 of the presentations I had done. The great thing about this is you get to meet and mingle with some great luthiers. Al Carruth , Tom Ribbekke , David Nichols , John Montelone , Bryan Gallop , Mike Gurian , Linda Manzer , Fred Tellier , just to name a few . We discussed all kinds of things and then we had Jam sessions.
ASIA is a great group of people . GAL will be next year on the west coast and if you can attend any of these , you are indeed going to help yourself. All these people are east to approach and are just great people to speak to. I learned a great deal in speaking with Mr Carruth. He has a great sense of humor. Tom Ribbekke became a Pap again while at the symposium , his daughter had a baby . I am sure he would have rathered to been at home but he committed to ASIA and was once a past board member.
Any chance you have to share information and learn is good for you to become a better builder. Be active in your groups. You will find you get a lot more from them than you realize. I am proud to be a member of the board of ASIA and it is only fitting that one shares what one learns.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

tippie53 wrote:For those that missed the SYMPOSIUM we are going to post in entirety 2 of the presentations I had done.
I have been downloading the video, and should get this posted in the next few days.

Glenn