Partial Re fret on Guitar

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
Zen

Partial Re fret on Guitar

Post by Zen »

Hi Guys , Just a quick question, I am replacing 5 frets on an old Takamine En 40 and have removed the old frets. The slots are a bit different from what I have seen before and by that I mean that they do not go all the way across the fret board. In fact the slot just stops short of the edge on each side--its a new one on me. My question is would i be better off use a saw to open up the slots all the way out or the alternative is to measure the old frets and try slot the new ones in. Has anyone seen this type of fretting before.
Any help appreciated
Rusty
RUSTY
tippie53

Re: Partial Re fret on Guitar

Post by tippie53 »

Invest in a fret tang nipper , these help you have a nice finished look on the guitar.
Martin has switched to ( pocket ) frets a few years ago.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

I have one John and use it for the ends but in this case I'm wondering should I rout out the slot all the way.
Heres a Pic to show the slot/trench/ are not cut all the way through and the old frets sat on top of the little piece of wood left at the ends.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I would not cut them through, even if they need made a little deeper. That way all the frets look the same. besides I find it easier to dress the ends on a bound board and usually charge extra for unbound boards as they are more work.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks for that John, Strange thing is the fretboard is not bound at all --they just cut the slots that way. By the way how they do that ? Must be with a router?

I will cut my frets the same size as the old ones then and hopefully it should be fine

Thanks again
Rusty
RUSTY
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

This is called faux binding.

It has the benefits of a bound fretboard (can't see the fret ends) without adding the step of cutting and gluing binding strips.

If I didn't have to, I would leave bit of wood at the end of the fret slots as it hides the tang and will keep all the frets looking the same.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

The do it with CNC router.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Martin uses a laser . It gives a nice look.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks for all the advise guys and some tips there I had never come across before -learning something new every day.
When John asked about a fret tang nipper I mistakenly thought he was talking about a fret cutter for trimming the ends but then it finally dawned on me what he was talking about. I never saw the need for one until now and often wondered what all the hype was about regarding that particular tool, but I can see the need for one on certain jobs now and I guess it will have to go on my list--- a very long list these days but one can always dream !!

Thanks again
Rusty
RUSTY
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:Martin uses a laser . It gives a nice look.
Yes, are they using lasers yet to rout for pearl? I have a fiend that has access to ne and it's crazy accurate.
Tim Benware