Requesting a good chisel recommendation

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kencierp

Re: Requesting a good chisel recommendation

Post by kencierp »

There is further instruction in this Woodsmith episode season three #312 including preparing the secondary edge mentioned by John --- a sharp tool can be honed after it is properly dressed, which is the point of the video, no matter how you process the edge -- paper, stone, leather wheel etc. --- I touch up my cutting edges with a diamond file 30 seconds!!

The complete Woodsmith episodes can be found here:

http://downloadbox.org/tutorial/woodsmi ... 64320.html

You'll need a RAR file extractor to convert them into viewable AVI files which can be played with Windows Media Player.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Here is a link to Todd Stocks presentation on his version of the Scary Sharp method. I learned a lot watching these videos. The link is to video 1 of a series of 3 videos. Diffinetly worth a watch. Todd is a luthier and this presentation was to Luthiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_OZI_8k ... 4ygT6Ih6A

The only recommendation I would have regarding chisels is make sure the sides are square.....and not tapered from one end to the other. I have two nice Marple chisels and they hold an edge very well. I bought one of the knock off honing guides which works great......but if the side of the chisel tapers, it is almost impossible to get the chisel locked into the guide square. If it isn't square, the bevel o the end of the chisel will be slightly angled instead of square with the bottom of the chisel. It will still get razor sharp, but will have a tendency to dig in on one side when used for scalloping braces. Mostly only an issue when you are tapering the brace down to nothing against the soundboard.
Slacker......
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I second the flea-market suggestion if you have the time to wait it out. I just finished lapping and sharpening a nice 1/2" George Parr socket chisel I picked up for a buck. I bought a Maple handle at a used funiture store for 25 cents a while ago figuring someting would come along to fit it to. For a $1.25 and about and hours time I ended up with a nice 1/2" chisel.

Here it is:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 1f42d1718b
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered a set of 4 Narex chisels. Wasn't very expensive for the set. Then got the Veritas honing guide and some waterstones.
I'm going to spend the night I get them on making sure the back is flat with the sandpaper (scary sharp method, I guess), then tune them up a bit.
But................I like the idea of flea markets, pawn shops, etc. for finding older chisels and planes and such. Never know what you'll stumble up on. I have an uncle about 6 yrs older than me who is giving me my grandfather's hammer. He was a carpenter for all the time I was growing up, and I helped him sometimes. That one "old" tool will never touch another nail. I like having things around that remind me of way back.
Bob
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

For those of you looking for old quality tools check out your local area MidWest Tool Collectors Assoc. meeting which include a Tool Flea market. Don't let the name fool you, chapters are all over North America and the world. It's a great way to find a concentrated collection of good tools in one place at prices less than Ebay. Our local chapter has an auction of tools at the end of each meeting. Some things were made better 100 years ago.

http://www.mwtca.org/

http://www.mwtca.org/tool-meets.html
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Here's what I ended up getting. A set of Narex chisels in a nice wooden box. They're numbered in mm's, but approximate 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1 inch. Look them up, not very expensive at all.
DSCN0109.jpg
I also bought this Veritas Honing guide. This was slightly higher than the cost of the chisels.

This pictures shows the 2 parts of the guide. The guide itself and an alignment tool.
DSCN0113.jpg
The alignment tool is held on by a single screw that is placed depending on the width of the blade by a scale on the front of the guide. You can see the markings in the picture above. The guide is color coded depending on the amount of bevel to be honed. Mine is set on the yellow scale which is the "medium" one. There's a screw on the tool that sits in a hole depending on the bevel, and all is clearly labeled. You then slide the chisel in, and it goes to the stop underneath the contraption. Tighten 2 screws to secure the blade, and it's ready.
DSCN0114.jpg
I can't add any more right now, so more in the next post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by naccoachbob on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Turn the contraption over and you can see how the alignment tool holds the chisel at a stop based on the angle of the bevel.
DSCN0115.jpg
Remove the alignment, and this is how it looks when ready to hone.
DSCN0116.jpg
You can see a knob at the bottom of the guide that's connected to the roller. If you want to add a small secondary bevel for even more sharpness, just crank that thing about 180 deg. and it will add 2 deg to the bevel. A few passes on fine sandpaper or a fine stone, and you have it.
I know this is overkill. But the chisels and the guide are sturdy. They'll last longer than I will. And it makes it very easy for me. I need that in my life right now!!
A set of sharpening stones are coming in the next few days. Another extravagance, but again, ease of use for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klooker

Post by klooker »

I have an older version of the Veritas jig that's about 15 years old & I still get razor sharp edges with it today.

I started with Arkansas stones but changed to Japanese waterstones - they cut faster, don't clog but do require flattening. I've never tried the scary sharp method.

Just my $0.02

Kevin Looker
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I have been looking at that veritas guide. Let us know how you like it. I know I messed up the bevel angle on my chisels. I will need my plane sharp when I shoot my fret board. Which will be soon hopefully.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

One thing I've already noticed is that the guide sometimes has trouble keeping smaller chisels aligned properly. I've started to hone and noticed that the chisel was out of angle. With bigger ones, it works fine. I would prefer something like a sleeve to hold the chisel in place and "square" to the stone. If you watch the bevel being created, you can tell if it's out. One side will start to be honed and the other untouched. I'll have to play around to find how to correct it.
I do like the part where you turn the knob on the roller to create the secondary bevel. Makes things a little bit sharper.