My Saga AM-10 build saga

General Information about Building Kit Mandolins
BigSkyGirl

My Saga AM-10 build saga

Post by BigSkyGirl »

Here are a few pics of my new mandolin I built from a Saga kit. I think it came out pretty good being that I have no woodworking experience....ever and no tools other than a small hack saw and file (if I ever go to jail I'm in good shape). I learned all about glue - make sure it's not permanant in case you need to take something apart.......and sandpaper - who knew there were so many different grades!!!......and why I should not be allowed near a band saw (see the small blemish on the front left bottom near the binding (below the left f-hole) - that's where I nearly cut it in half). So then the guy at the woodworking shop took pity on me and helped me with the band saw…..and proceeded to nearly cut the neck off….so I was like….ummm I got it, thanks….

Oh and finishes.....I felt muscles I never knew I had after many rounds (too many to count) of stain, sand, stain, sand.....then polycoat, sand, polycoat, sand.......good thing I had alot of sandpaper. I finally pronounced the project complete and took it for a critique to my local mandolin guy. I stood back while he looked it over for a long while, strummed it a few times and said......."not bad"....LOL……he is a polite guy indeed.

Anyway, it's kind of fun, well except for stringing it - apparently one needs something like four hands to do it (and that e string will put your eye out) and I have no idea how to play it but last night I decided that since I knew Galway Girl on the guitar I pulled up a chord chart and figured out the chords on the mando.

So while I'm pretty sure Steve Earle would not recognize my version of his song the cats thought it was ok…...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Omar_8200

Re: My Saga AM-10 build saga

Post by Omar_8200 »

Nice work!

I like the headstock design. Simple and elegant. They make a nice sounding instrument and is a great way to get started.

How did the neck angle and action come out?
Omar
- Mandolins and guitars constructed in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice Mandolin! So what are you starting next?

Welcome to the forum.

John
JVan

Post by JVan »

Pretty impressive for just a hacksaw and file! That is skill! Nice job on the Mando.

"Stay thirsty my friends"
BigSkyGirl

Post by BigSkyGirl »

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. The neck came out good, the only thing I should have done is get it seated EXACTLY flush with the top. It's off on one side by less than a hair but I think it does make a difference. The action is very high at the nut but I need to file the plastic nut a bit - I just stuck it on there in order to finish and get it strung up. My mandolin guy adjusted the truss rod and the neck is really straight. It stays in tune rather well and overall I think it's a pretty good value - I paid less than $100 (hope we are allowed to discuss prices here) for the kit. I wasn't able to find a whole lot about this kit on the web - seems the International Violin kit is more popular. Although looking at some mandos in the store I think this would hold it's own against some of the models that run up to about $400.

I will probably do another at some point, right now I'm finishing up a Saga LC-10 - sure wish I had not decided to spray paint it but I'm in it now so need to see it thru. I need to sand the final color coat and then just poly it and be done with it. "Why yes - the fish-eye and orange peel are part of the design"....LOL