This works in my small shop

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
deadedith

This works in my small shop

Post by deadedith »

Okay, this is not a big idea or anything, but I had a crowded shop set up (small shop so everything in everything else's way) and I also had some doweling, a couple of 2x4's, an old HF dolly (which doesn't show - just your $10 on sale dolly), some pegboard and other stuff laying around. So I threw this together and it works great - stable, I just pull/push it wherever I'm working. The white baskets are $1 store - you can clip the frame wires easily and stick 'em through the peg boards.
Just kinda fun, cheap, and really handy. And I don't have that many people wanting tours of my shop so aesthetics aren't that important. :-)
Dave B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony_in_NYC

Re: This works in my small shop

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Hey! Great idea Dave!
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

That is a great idea! I need to find a better way to store all my clamps. I used to have all my tool proudly displayed and organized on my pegboard wall over my work bench, but they all rusted terribly after the first winter. Dust would collect after using a saw or sander, and the condensation would create an unbelieveable amount of rust very quickly! I ended up getting a tool chest. Still gets dusty, still can get some condensation, but doesn't seem to rust as long as I use my tools and wipe them (as we all should) before putting them back in their drawers. Your tool system looks great, though!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Ken Hundley wrote:That is a great idea! I need to find a better way to store all my clamps. I used to have all my tool proudly displayed and organized on my pegboard wall over my work bench, but they all rusted terribly after the first winter. Dust would collect after using a saw or sander, and the condensation would create an unbelieveable amount of rust very quickly! I ended up getting a tool chest. Still gets dusty, still can get some condensation, but doesn't seem to rust as long as I use my tools and wipe them (as we all should) before putting them back in their drawers. Your tool system looks great, though!
Nice clamp storage solution...I've had planes, chisels, files and other steel tools exposed on shelves or hanging on walls in my shop for 10 years with absolutely NO rust formation. Also no rust forming on tablesaw, or bandsaw cast iron surfaces. I keep the shop at 40% -50% and at 65*-70*F year round. On the other hand, the jointer that I keep in the unheated garage definitely gets rusty.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

My garage is unattached and uninsulated. Lucky I have power out there.....
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan