Fixing bad intonation

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
Ben-Had

Re: Fixing bad intonation

Post by Ben-Had »

Distance from the 12th fret to top of the saddle should be same distance as from the nut to the 12th fret plus approx adjust for compensation.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you need about .100 in of comp length added to the scale length
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
pjl1959

Post by pjl1959 »

I've always wondered--when measuring, do you measure to the center of the saddle?
Paul
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

pjl1959 wrote:I've always wondered--when measuring, do you measure to the center of the saddle?
Paul
For me it is the front edge pf the saddle slot.
Tim Benware
RnB

Post by RnB »

pjl1959 wrote:I've always wondered--when measuring, do you measure to the center of the saddle?
Even though I have one of Stew-Mac's 'Saddlematics', complete w/ instructions, I ended up following Tippie's method of locating the bridge/saddle he has on a YT video. The intonation came out on the mark. I got some slight variance when using Stew-Mac's tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJG5Frbu ... re=related
pjl1959

Post by pjl1959 »

Hey John,
Just watched your You Tube videos on intonation and setting the bridge. Very informative! Question--the guitar you're building is Martin 25.4" scale but you set the treble side at 25.5 to the center of the saddle slot. Why the "little bit extra"? If I'm building a 25.5" guitar, should I set the treble side at 25.6"?

Also--love the rosette on the guitar in the video! Did you make it yourself?

Paul
PJL1959
Valleyisle

Post by Valleyisle »

pjl1959 wrote:Hey John,
Just watched your You Tube videos on intonation and setting the bridge. Very informative! Question--the guitar you're building is Martin 25.4" scale but you set the treble side at 25.5 to the center of the saddle slot. Why the "little bit extra"? If I'm building a 25.5" guitar, should I set the treble side at 25.6"?

Also--love the rosette on the guitar in the video! Did you make it yourself?

Paul
PJL1959
Ah, I was into it hoping for an important answer?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

HI
Thanks and glad you liked the vid. That guitar was my video mans. He did that rosette. I do have a rosette tutorial here . What would you like to see ?
Thanks again for the kind words

The compensation length is there to help with matching the working length of the string to the static length of the scale length ( placement of the frets). You also have to plan for pulling the strings sharp when fretting. It gets complicated but in the most simple terms , the static length of the scale doesn't change but your variables on the strings are many.
Gauge , type of metal the strings are made from , action height and the thickness of the frets , then to top that off , the players fingering style. Also as the strings get older they will tend to sound more sharp as the get "work hardened". The added length will allow you to "compensate" the saddle for the working length of each string.
There are no 1 saddle to fit each guitar. I make each saddle to the guitar it goes on. I also try to get a few cents flat , the strings tend to sharpen with age. It is a delicate balance. I suggest you start with each string intonated to the 12th fret , then you can adjust the saddle to your ear on the next string change.
Hope this helped
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com