Medical Clamp

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
rgogo65

Medical Clamp

Post by rgogo65 »

Most of you know I've been dealing with serious health problems for some time now, but I'm still hopeful, and look forward to working on my guitars again someday...right now I'm working on a dulcimer project just to keep me somewhat active and occupied.

The other day I had to have some blood work done and as most know, they usually wrap the entry point with a bit of gauze and some cohesive bandage.

After a bit, it was really tight and bothering me so I removed it while waiting for the wife, and sat there pulling on it and generally messing with it and it suddenly dawned on me... "This stuff would make a great CLAMP" on hard to hold items such as fingerboards, headstock plates, nuts and OTHER items or situations that require a tight, reliable clamp that won't scratch or mar your project on a surface that calls for special cawls and the like, so I went back in and ask the nurse for a roll as an experiment, she graciously obliged me and this stuff works great!

It's cheap, at generally less than a $1 for 5 yds of 1 inch, it can be tightened as tight as one would ever want, as long as you overlap 3-4" it won't come loose until you want to remove it. You can get it in different colors so you can always FIND IT on your bench. It tears easily, no cutting needed.

It seems most Drug stores carry it...I haven't had the chance to check places like Wal-Mart etc, but I will...it's also available on-line here's one source, and this brand is latex free if that's a problem for you (It is for me!).

Dlon't laugh, Give it a try, you'll be amazed!

Ray

http://www.quickmedical.com/andover-cof ... dages.html
tippie53

Re: Medical Clamp

Post by tippie53 »

great idea thanks
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Guess I should have mentioned that there is no residue from an adhesive because there isn't any. No sticky anything, it works with pressure only and sticks only to it's self so no worry about trying to get off any sort of residue on a finish or bare wood etc.
(:>)
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks, I was wondering about the residue thing. A very good tip.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

That Coband stuff is awesome....my wife is a physical terrorist, and we've been using it for over 10 years. Never thought about using it here....good thinking!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Barryo

Post by Barryo »

I have a need to use this product all the time for health issues and have found that 'vet wrap' is significantly less expensive and you can find it at local 'feed stores' (it's often used for wrapping horses hooves (a la race horses!). I generally buy it by the case from valley vet supply (I think it's around $2 a roll).
convict27

Post by convict27 »

Ray, Thanks so much for the tip. I actually used it last night to attach my fretboard to my neck. Worked great!
Blaine Conrey

Post by   »

Is this stuff reusable??
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Wonder if this would work to wrap bindings, in place of the twill tape?? Anyone got a guess on that?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I used some of the Walgreen's brand to wrap bindings yesterday, and it worked well. I used some of the 1" and some wider stuff; the wider was easier to manage, but bot worked.
I don't think it's reusable, but it is cheap and easy and effective. Unlike twill tape, you do not have to keep constant pressure the full length of the wrap, since you can just stick the stuff to itself at any time and it holds the pressure.
My process - and yes, it is for some a real overkill, but for me it works in such a way that I am not working against the clock - is to glue in the bindings using slo-glue, , taping as I go, and then leisurely wrapping the compression tape around, concentrating on areas that tend to be trouble areas for gaps and such. Let dry. Rejoice.