Medical Clamp

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
rgogo65

Re: Medical Clamp

Post by rgogo65 »

I'm glad you are guy's are finding this stuff as usable as I have. I don't think it's really that reusable, but then it's cheap enough, especially on line, it's not a concern to me.
My next order will be 48 rolls. @ $1.12 for 15' x 1.5"
Anyway, if you discover any new uses please let everyone know.

Thanks,
Ray
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Hmm.. I think I've used these bandages before too...

Do they really provide enough clamping pressure for something like a fretboard glue up?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Jim_H wrote:Hmm.. I think I've used these bandages before too...

Do they really provide enough clamping pressure for something like a fretboard glue up?
Well, as mentioned here above Blaine tried it and had no problems.
It will tighten up enough to completely shut off the blood circulation to your arm or leg indefinitely (Which I wouldn't try).

It will tighten up more than you can pull with your hands w/o breaking and it needs no adhesive of any kind, just press to it's self.

Did you use the correct "Bandage"? It's not a band aid :)
Apparently you missed Blane's remarks, on the finger board, in case you missed the link showing the correct type (Of which there are many brands).... this is my favorite...here's the link again..

http://www.quickmedical.com/andover-cof ... dages.html

Maybe it's the easy tear that bothers you...you can tear duck tape easily....but try to pull it into.

If you doubt what we're saying,
We're only talking $2 go to a drug store, buy a roll and try it your self on scrap...or not :)
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Sorry if I came across negative in my post. I didn't mean it that way at all. Hard to indicate inflection on a message board post. =)

I did see the links. The reason I asked about the fretboard is because that's a glue joint that I've always thought was best made with as much clamping pressure as possible, in order to have a nearly invisible glue line, and to ensure good adhesion...

Anyway.... If this will work, it just might solve a dilemma i'm struggling with.

I'm re-topping my first KMG kit, and I have the new top fit inside the bindings and purflings, but I need a way to apply sideways pressure against the rim, pressing against the edge of the new top, while applying downward pressure at the same time.

I have been dreaming up elaborate cauls and go bar deck modifications to do this.

This evening tho, I finally have the dry fit tight enough that there are no significant gaps. I wonder if this wrap would work...

I'll stop at walgreens tomorrow and pick a few rolls to play around with. If this works, I'll take some pictures of the process and share with the group..

Thanks!
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Jim_H wrote:Sorry if I came across negative in my post. I didn't mean it that way at all. Hard to indicate inflection on a message board post. =)

Thanks!
Oh NO...no problem at all Jim, and you are so right about typing inflection, I re-read my response and was embarrassed...no intent on my part either...please accept my apologies..
I fully understand about the fingerboard issue...that's where I originally got the info from... someone dealing with the same thing, then I was thrilled with the word that another of us had success in that department...

I've been experimenting with it when I can...been in and out of the hospital for the last 3 months and haven't been able to do what I want...only small stuff...really interested in your success or lack there of.. to me the fingerboard creates nightmares....I know some use plastic ties and the likes of which StewMac carries...not sure of that either.
Anyway...good luck!

Ray (:>)<
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I've used the plastic fingerboard clamps, and have also used regular cam clamps when doing multiple boards.....have had success both ways. I have a ton of that stuff lying around the house....my wife is a physical therapist and us boys are abunch of clutzes, so it owuld be easy to test it out. Going to be gluing up a body in the next couple weeks, and will give it a try.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I bought a couple of sampes at Walgreens today. THey had a product called "Coban", which was in the medical bandage area. I bought a 1.5" roll of this. Unfortunately, It's very thin to the point of being translucent. I don't think it would be of much use.

The other two I tried were in the section where sports wraps and knee braces live. There were two different brands. One called Premier Value and the other called "Dome" I think. Both products were called "SELF-GRIP". I got a three inch and four inch package. These seemed to be of much higher quality, or at least were much thicker and heavier, and had a stronger elastic pull.

THe "Coban" product, what is made by 3M is probably not suited to any luthiery task I can think of. It's just not strong or heavy enough to be useful. The "Self-Grip", which was made for athletic use however is definitely strong enough to apply significant pressure in the the same role that twill tape is used for (supplementing binding tape when binding the body).

I did a couple of dry runs using the 3" roll, which is most practical. 4" is too wide, and for that matter the 3" is probably too wide too. I think the one to two in widths would be most practical.

As far as re-usability, I'm not entirely sure. I suspect that the elastic won't be as strong on subsequent uses, and might cause problems.

I would have some concerns using this as a stand-alone clamping system. My main concern would be that while you can get substantial initial clamping pressure, that the elastic would relax over the 30 to 60 minutes that it takes for the glue to fully cure, possibly resulting in a starved glue joint (from the pressure relaxing slightly after the initial full force squeeze out).

As a supplement to binding tape, it seems like it should work just fine.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

We tried the plastic clamps which are actually emergency plumbing clamps that can be purchased at an RV supply or even Wal Mart for less then $2. These were a bit clunky for us to work with -- sold on Ebay.

Anyway -- I would suggest that no matter how you actually apply the clamping pressure to the neck/finger-board assembly, that a super straight and rigid caul also be used in the sandwich to prevent warping.

Post by   »

Would epoxy be a good choice in this glue-up?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Well I've considered using a slow cure epoxy -- I still have not done that, should work just fine and yes there would be no concern relative to water warping. You are going to screw up the fingerboard if it has to be removed with heat so which glue you use would not matter if such a major repair is necessary down the road. Perhaps Running Dog will comment?