A time saver for truing up sides

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
deadedith

A time saver for truing up sides

Post by deadedith »

I don't remember where I got this. It is self explanatory Anyway, this tip really works for me.

"Here is a tip that I learned from Mario Proulx that saves me lots of time!
After gluing the top and back plates onto a guitar rim one way to nix the overhang that we leave on our plates is to use a flush-cut router bit either in a laminate trimmer free-handing it (perhaps with a shop-made donut) or with the trimmer in one of the various types of binding channel cutter jigs. As you all know prior to cutting the actual binding channels it's important to first true up your sides so that the binding cutter router bit is registering/riding on a uniform side. This makes for a more uniform binding channel. If you go from the flush cut bit which does not always really cut flush to sanding/truing your sides the top and back plates including some end grain will be hitting the sanding block when you attempt to true up your sides. This can and will greatly slow down your progress if sanding by hand with a block. Mario's tip is after cutting the plates flush or close use one of the bearings that came with your binding cutter bit set that only takes off a very small amount of material just beyond flush with the sides. Adjust the bit so that it's depth is less than what you would use for your bindings and again it's a bearing that will not cut as deep as you would use for your bindings either. What results is that the back and top plates are taken out of play while you true up your sides to cut the actual binding channels. In addition this also acts as a bit of a pre-cut removing some material and reducing the amount of material that you will be removing when actually cutting the final binding channels. Another benefit is that this less aggressive final cut is also less risky since it's taking a smaller bite."
deadedith

Re: A time saver for truing up sides

Post by deadedith »

I just used this technique again and man did it save some time. Just cut the back and top enough - a very little is all that is needed - and it takes them out of the side truing business.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Not a new tip . I have been doing it that way since I started. It works and makes sense . You can do this with a simple router set up . My preference is a Millwalkee variable speed router. Simple and effective . Mario didn't think this up but he passed it on.
Good tip .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yeah, it was just 'new to me' and thought it might be for others as well. Sure is easier than sanding all that cross-grain on the ends, isn't it?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Yes Some purists use a chisel . I say train the darn termites
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I see it happened AGAIN.
The post I wrote on this thread yesterday afternoon went to Never Never land.......sigh.
What I wrote was.......
Dave, this was a new idea to me so thanks for posting it. I had not thought of it on my own.
It makes alot of sense.

Kevin
David L

Post by David L »

I will use this on no. 2, thanks!

David L
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

My philosophy is: post every tip you come across in the "tips" part of the Forum.