fretboard Inlay I just finished

Post a photo of something you are working on today. No need to explain or write anything. A photo is worth a thousand words. If you must write something caption your photo with the "File Comment" field when uploading an attachment. Keep it short and show us some photos!
Forum rules
Pictures please.
tippie53

Re: fretboard Inlay I just finished

Post by tippie53 »

that is correct you can't inlay something like this in pieces it won't lay right.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Re: fretboard Inlay I just finished

Post by Bob Gleason »

I once took a class from Grit Laskin. He did his inlays after the fret slots were cut. His method was very tedious, but worked for him. He routed out the inlay cavities to within about 1/16" of the open slot and left a ledge of wood. The idea was that the frets would still be surround by wood and would be tight. I agree that it was a really great technique, but very hard to pull off. I cut my slots, inlay the pearl, and like John use a fret saw to cut through the pearl. I used to do a lot of inlay that went through fret slots, but not much anymore. When you fret, you can't press down very hard on the pearl or bad things tend to happen. The frets are never as tight against the pearl as they are against bare wood. Minor point, and probably does not matter, Enjoy your inlay!-Bob