First Build Starts Today

Post a photo of something you are working on today. No need to explain or write anything. A photo is worth a thousand words. If you must write something caption your photo with the "File Comment" field when uploading an attachment. Keep it short and show us some photos!
Forum rules
Pictures please.
Kbore

First Build Starts Today

Post by Kbore »

StewMac kit, starting with the cardboard mold process.
Built four jigs, required to get started, and still haven't started.
"Starting" may be the hardest thing I encounter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Re: First Build Starts Today

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll be anxious to know how effective the cardboard mold system works. I never thought of an inside mold. How do you glue the side struts into the guitar with this mold system?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Before you place the side struts, you've already done top and bottom kerffing and glued the top on. You remove the center mold and discard it, its work is done. You now glue up the side struts. Pretty interesting...
Measure Twice,

Karl B
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the big issue I have with the cardboard is that you have to remove it to close the box and you loose control of the neck block so be sure to pay attention to these details.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:Before you place the side struts, you've already done top and bottom kerffing and glued the top on. You remove the center mold and discard it, its work is done. You now glue up the side struts. Pretty interesting...
Okay, so you're gluing the struts just before closing the box. I understand. Like John pointed out, even with the sides and the top or back glued, the sides can easily shift slightly without the mold in place, so you can end up with a guitar without parallel sides. You'll do fine, just be careful to make sure the back goes on straight.

I saw a friend who had this problem with one of her guitars....:)
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The kerfing should stiffen the sides enough so they don't distort when you take the mold out...but it can happen. If you use reverse kerfing, it should reduce the chances, as reverse kerfing makes a very stiff structure.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to carefully check the sides after removal of the inside mold. I've already noted a very a slight "racking" of the sides after the blocks are glued on.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Must add text
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Photo of the day
Measure Twice,

Karl B
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

I'll be following your progress. I am close to starting my first builds.