www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm 

I was going to review a set of DR RARE Phosphor Bronze strings in August. As I strung the guitar with the test set, the bass E broke, which is rather unusual. Today, as I played them for the first time, the "G" (3rd string) broke.

Strings By Mail contacted me today with the information that DR Strings has filed a lawsuit this month, against the manufacturer of the paper envelopes, that hold the strings. They manufacturer switched to tablet paper, which contains chemicals that erode metal. The chloride content of the paper is causing the strings to corrode and break prematurely.

The company that makes the paper envelopes, so makes envelopes for GHS Strings and Dean Markley Strings, both of whom are suing the paper company. When I tested the GHS strings, I had no problems, so whether they have a new supplier, or the strings were so fresh that they hadn't corroded yet, I don't know.

If you'd like to read more information, please go to: http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/emerson-guitar-string-maker-sues-over-corroded-strings-1.1361363

Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:18 pm 

funny how something as simple as the chemistry in paper can cause so much problems. Thanks for the heads up

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:13 pm 

Interesting indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:46 am 

Presumably they're not using those envelopes anymore. They should do a recall to get rid of the bad ones that are in stock. There is mention of "replacing bad strings," so perhaps they have done a recall with their retailers, or plan to. Diane, could you ask your contact at Strings By Mail about that?

The link you gave didn't work for me, but I found the story here:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/busines ... -1.1361363

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:59 am 

MaineGeezer wrote:
Presumably they're not using those envelopes anymore. They should do a recall to get rid of the bad ones that are in stock. There is mention of "replacing bad strings," so perhaps they have done a recall with their retailers, or plan to. Diane, could you ask your contact at Strings By Mail about that?

The link you gave didn't work for me, but I found the story here:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/busines ... -1.1361363

Thank you for telling me about the link; I always click on the links that I put into posts to double check, but sometimes things happen. I corrected the problem.

From what I read, all three manufacturers have a new source for the string envelopes and I'm sure that I just happened to get one that contained defective envelopes. I read that all manufacturers have had to replace bad strings that customers have bought; this is part of their lawsuit.

I've sent a message to Strings By Mail for more information. SBM found out about the problem and lawsuit just yesterday morning, so I'm sure that they're trying to find out more information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:23 am 

thanks for keeping up updated Diane

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am 

I got a message from Strings By Mail. There has been no recall issued for any of the strings. Until I had a problem, they were unaware of that there was the possibility of corrosion.

Should you get a set of problematic strings, please contact the manufacturer immediately. The strings in question will either have a significant amount of corrosion when you take them out of the package, or will break as soon as tension is placed on them by stringing.