Classical Guitar string recommendations?

JLT

Classical Guitar string recommendations?

Post by JLT »

I've been given a classical/folk guitar by a neighbor, and it desperately needs new strings ... the old ones are at least 20 years old! For that matter, I have a couple of classical guitars in my collection that could use new ones.

I've always used Augustine strings, but I notice that Strings by Mail has about three dozen brands, most of which I've never heard of.

Does anybody have preferences in the brands they use? I'm looking for ones that aren't too expensive, and are on the "light" side regarding tension, as two of these guitars are fairly old.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Classical Guitar string recommendations?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I usually use d'addario strings. They have a nice sound, are reasonably priced, and have staying power. I use hard tension, but they have normal tension, which is EJ45. Go to their site and check out their descriptions. They have a good variety of classical strings and their site is set up to help you choose.

Hope this helps.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I usually use d'addario strings. They have a nice sound, are reasonably priced, and have staying power. I use hard tension, but they have normal tension, which is EJ45. Go to their site and check out their descriptions. They have a good variety of classical strings and their site is set up to help you choose.

Hope this helps.
It does. I've ordered the EJ45 for my friend's guitar and am experimenting with an Aquila nylgut set for a "lute-like object" I made some years back, and a Savarez set for my Oscar Teller.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

then along with that you have high tension and such I am a fan of the high tension
if the guitar is in good structural shape I think he may like them
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

tippie53 wrote:then along with that you have high tension and such I am a fan of the high tension
if the guitar is in good structural shape I think he may like them
She, not he...

I have no idea what shape the guitar is in structurally, although from inspection of the outside it hadn't been gently used. I went with mediums, with the proviso that she could move up to high tension if she wants to. (I might add that she's been away from the guitar for twenty years and could probably appreciate a lighter tension on her fingers).

The Savaraz strings are going onto a sixty-year-old Oskar Teller guitar that my father gave me. It could probably go with high tension strings ... the only problem I've had with it was a bridge that started separating from the soundboard about fifteen years ago, which I re-glued.

As for the "lute-like object," it could also probably be fine with high-tension, but I wanted the look of gut strings, and Aquila had them only in a medium tensioned Nylgut, so I went that way.

Thanks for your help, all, and stay well.
alankap

Post by alankap »

Great nylon guitar strings list. You can use any of these.
Personally, I use ErnieBall strings for all my guitars and they are perfect.