CF Martin Titanium Strings

Danl8

CF Martin Titanium Strings

Post by Danl8 »

Selected people on Martin's mailing list apparently have been asked to test and complete a survey on the new titanium guitar strings that employ proprietary technology in corrosion resistance, cryogenic metallurgy, overwinding and the exclusive titanium core. I got lucky to be selected for this (I really believe that--lucky) in April and have been putting an hour every day into this. My initial impression was that they were noticeably balanced with good fundamentals and harmonics, but as I continue to play I am getting really happy with the consistency and rich, not-overstated tone. I think they might be on to something here with titanium.

My usual favorites are the monel, retro and sp light strings which are different, brighter in some cases. The bonus of the titanium string sets are the stainless cryo first and second strings. If I could a hundred of those, I wouldn't use anything else. IMHO they are superior to any other 1st &2nd strings.

On practical things that Diane usually covers, strings are clean--no stuff rubs off, new nor after 20 hours of playing. Strings not sealed in wrappers (might be the test packaging). After one month of hard play, I can't detect any diminution of performance. BTW, the testing for me is on a 000-15SM long scale, 12 fret with/without a capo. The titanium sets should be available soon; beware the price will not be what you are used to. I still will use 'em on my better instruments. As soon as I can get over a bad case of microphone fright I'll post an MP3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: CF Martin Titanium Strings

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice review. Did Martin give you lights or medium? They sound like something I'd like to try.

Thank you!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Interesting. Titanium is pretty much non-reactive in any ordinary environment, so they shouldn't tarnish or corrode (hence, no need for sealed packaging?)

I did a search and found Martin titanium strings for sale....40 bucks a set.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Very nice review. Did Martin give you lights or medium? They sound like something I'd like to try.

Thank you!
Light tension. They cautioned that they base that on tension and not string diameter due to the characteristics of the metal. I would like to try a medium tension set next.

Jan 2018 Update: I played the titanium strings until Oct 31, 2017 when overnight they became dull, but that was over six months of really good performance for long-lasting strings. At $40/set a long life would, of course, be desirable. I liked them enough to buy 2 sets recently and plan to continue to use 'em. I'm working on another test set now, but I don't know what they are.