#3 Violin completed.

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kevin Sjostrand

#3 Violin completed.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

So I began this violin earlier this year and had it strung up in the white all summer. Late September I tore it down and began the finish process. After a couple tries I got the oil varnish the color I was looking for and put the last coats on about 3 weeks ago. Over the last 3 days I flat sanded and hand polished the finish.

Today I put it back together. I noticed later I forgot to cut the tuning pegs flush with the peg box. I'll do that tomorrow or later.

This is flamed maple back, sides and neck. European spruce top. 4/4 size. Made for my granddaughter who just turned 9 4 weeks ago. She will receive it next year in April I think.

I have wood for a couple more but don't know when the next one will happen....maybe a good winter project??

Thanks for looking.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Re: #3 Violin completed.

Post by MaineGeezer »

That is lovely. How does it sound?

Last week we had a classical violinist staying with us for a few days while she collaborated on some music with a local string quartet. Her violin is over 300 years old. I kept wondering how a violin I might build would compare to hers. Probably not very favorably! It got me thinking about building one though. You've set a high bar to aspire to.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Beautiful. What an amazing legacy you are passing to your grandchildren.
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Beautiful!
scamp

Post by scamp »

Wow. Beautiful . I'd like to try and do something like this but don't know if I have the nerve.