The “Tar Baby” is finally Finished!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
BlindBo

The “Tar Baby” is finally Finished!

Post by BlindBo »

This project began in Feb ‘23. A dear friend of mine, who is a professional String Band fiddler and banjo player had been taking up finger picking the guitar the last year. As many of that genera, he loves the 1930’s Gibsons. I had never tried to build such a guitar. But his sweet wife passed away without any warning in late 2022. Her name was Elaine and she was a wonderful person. We went to her memorial service in Feb where his band played at his home and empathy grabbed me.
I came home and ordered a set of plans for a 1937 L-OO. I started building “Elaine” for him as a gift. Basically, it was my first guitar from scratch. Luckily I had a beautiful set of mahogany sides and backs. It was my first venture into bending sides. Probably with Devine intervention, they turned out perfectly. I made up the back with a Martin D-45 multicolored back strip which was perfect for that red mahogany.

Other than getting a rough machined neck, I made all the parts including the pyramid bracing per the plans and started building. I call it a Tar-Baby because at my still novice building skills and vision limitations, there were lots of redo’s and repairs on what I call the Circular Repair Treadmill.

Today I did the final set up and polishing. Tomorrow it goes into the case for delivery to my friend who has no idea it’s coming. I am amazed at what a brilliant tone and sustain it has. There might be another in the que for me! I hope my dear friend enjoys it!
As always, I have to thank John Hall and Diane K for their support. What wonderful assets they are for this group!
IMG_1339.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: The “Tar Baby” is finally Finished!

Post by tippie53 »

that is by far the best guitar you made so far great job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
BlindBo

Re: The “Tar Baby” is finally Finished!

Post by BlindBo »

Thanks, my friend. That means a lot coming from you. Also, credit to Jimmie Hall for teaching me so much! RIP my buddy;