The guitar that didn't want to get built

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
naccoachbob

The guitar that didn't want to get built

Post by naccoachbob »

Last summer I started a thread on my daughter's guitar. Finally, after some pretty bad ups and down, it's finally done.

The neck he sent was a 5 piece laminate, mahogany, maple, bloodwood,maple, mahogany and it was exquisite.
I sent the headstock off to Jimmi Wingert to inlay a kangaroo on it. My daughter's name is Joey, which is the name for a baby kangaroo, and it was the touch I wanted.
Some might remember a cat got loose and helped break one of the sides, but it was salvaged with help from Steve Kinnaird.
And, to top it all off, a misunderstanding resulted in a mis-matched neck angle. Ken helped me resolve that, and finally, FINALLY, it's done.
It's a 000/OM. Back and sides are Rosewood, the top is Engelmann Spruce. The purfling on the top is white/bloodwood/white/bloodwood. On the back, it's white/bloodwood/white. The rosette is rosewood surrounded by shell. I bound the ebony fretboard in bloodwood with small shell inlay for position markers. Then I inlayed the fretboard with white MOP. Of course the headstock is bloodwood with maple and ebony making up the kangaroo inlay.
I did a lot of work on the top bracing, possibly pushing the limit on the amount of wood I cut off of the braces. It's so lightly braced, that I can slightly feel the top deform in a couple of spots. It's not much, but just a tiny bit.
DSCN0240.jpg
DSCN0242.jpg
The building part of this is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299

Thanks for looking,
Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: The guitar that didn't want to get built

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bob, Thanks for showing!!!!
It turned out wonderful. I'll bet Joey is going to be one happy little lady.
Be proud! With all the extra work involved, you deserve it.

Kevin
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Bob, congrats on getting her done. I think I recall seeing the headstock inlay some time ago. I'm sure it feels great having it all dialed in!

Ken
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Bob the guitar looks great. Have you ordered the supplies for your next one?
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Thanks all, it was worth it.
John, I've got the sides already kerfed, and the back joined on my son's guitar.
Will work on bracing soon. Although I'm more into playing now than building. I'm wanting a Les Paul, but will buy it instead of trying to build one.
I used the nitro in a can. Deft. But after going to Steve's shop the other day, I think I'm going to send the next one(s) off to be finished. It'll cost over twice what it does to do it myself, but the results are way better.
Pore filling sucked again, but that's how it goes.
Thanks again guys.
Bob
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Looks great Bob! All the sweeter knowing what went into getting it there!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Looks great, Bob. I loved he headstock artwork when you showed it right after you'd received it.

BTW, word is that for every botched build a cat must die. I used to think that only meant on classical guitar builds (where else to get the material for the strings?) but recently my friend and tutor also "relocated" a cat that had been giving him trouble. Thankfully my own cat has not caused trouble but she yowls when I get home and wakes everybody up which I'm not too pleased about. FWIW it's not affecting my build. I prefer to break the sides all on my own; I don't need any help! LOL!
~ Neil