Long Scale Red Spruce and Cherry J-185

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
koolimy

Long Scale Red Spruce and Cherry J-185

Post by koolimy »

Hi, I just wanted to show some pictures and share a clip of my Blues Creek Long Scale Red Spruce and Cherry J-185.
It is not a good guitar by any means and I have documented the numerous mistakes I made, but it was extremely fun to build and I like it a lot. The satisfaction of stringing up a guitar you assembled is unparalleled and I can understand why people don't stop at 1.

I think it sounds pretty good, at least to my ears. Attached is a short clip I just recorded yesterday with a Zoom H1n. Please forgive my terrible playing and hope y'all enjoy.

Thanks a lot to Mr. Hall for providing me with a great kit and helping me along the way. I strongly recommend Blues Creek as a place to get kits, Cherry as a B&S wood, and a J-185 as a beautiful and great sounding body shape.
Cherry J-185.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rcnewcomb

Re: Long Scale Red Spruce and Cherry J-185

Post by rcnewcomb »

I like the 185 size and shape. The sound clip is fine!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

rcnewcomb wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 pm I like the 185 size and shape. The sound clip is fine!
Thank you! I also think the J-185 is one of the most beautiful body shapes out there. It also happens to be really comfortable to play while still being big enough to get a big body sound! I think more people should build J-185s.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Nothin' wrong with the sound of that guitar! Beautiful.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:32 pm Nothin' wrong with the sound of that guitar! Beautiful.
Thanks! I also recorded a quick sample of its strumming sound. I don't have much experience with guitars but I like it! Apologies again for the terrible playing LOL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

No need to apologize for your playing -- I don't think anybody here is awarding or deducting points for playing skill.

(I avoid the issue by enlisting an actual guitar player to test drive my guitars when I want to hear how they sound.)
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:41 pm No need to apologize for your playing -- I don't think anybody here is awarding or deducting points for playing skill.

(I avoid the issue by enlisting an actual guitar player to test drive my guitars when I want to hear how they sound.)
Thanks! I wish I had the option of getting a much better guitar player to test drive my guitar. Unfortunately, I don't have that option so I will have to do with me haha.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Ask around. There may be somebody you can talk into trying out your guitar. Is there a local coffeehouse or other venue that has performers come? If so, ask and see what happens. Something like, "I just built a guitar and I'd like to hear how it sounds when somebody besides me plays it. Would you be willing to try it out and see what you think of it?"
They may not want to...but you won't know unless you ask.
One has to judge the level of friendliness and how approachable a performer is, of course. At a local coffeehouse though, it shouldn't be a problem.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:08 pm Ask around. There may be somebody you can talk into trying out your guitar. Is there a local coffeehouse or other venue that has performers come? If so, ask and see what happens. Something like, "I just built a guitar and I'd like to hear how it sounds when somebody besides me plays it. Would you be willing to try it out and see what you think of it?"
They may not want to...but you won't know unless you ask.
One has to judge the level of friendliness and how approachable a performer is, of course. At a local coffeehouse though, it shouldn't be a problem.
That's an interesting idea! I might have to get out of my shell and try something like that sometime.