Tasmanian Blackwood and Douglas Fir OM Cutaway

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
PSmill

Tasmanian Blackwood and Douglas Fir OM Cutaway

Post by PSmill »

Hi, Thought I would share a few pics of my second scratch build, and also to share a thanks to those on the forum who have been so very generous with their time and expertise. This has turned out fantastically, now I understand what it means for a guitar to be responsive, it just feels so effortless to play and produce rich resonant sounds. Honestly I'm not sure how to account for the dramatic improvement over the last one, but a few of the refinements/changes were a more methodical approach and greater precision at every step, lighter bracing, a french polish finish, a much better neck profile, tighter tolerances on the set-up, and evo gold med/tall fretwire. The rosette, fretboard, peghead, and bridge are bocote. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carld05

Re: Tasmanian Blackwood and Douglas Fir OM Cutaway

Post by carld05 »

Looking good!
jread

Post by jread »

Just beautiful! Love the rosette and the smooth cutaway and heel area. Lovely work!
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Very nice.
RHayes

Post by RHayes »

Very attractive. Is the top Douglas Fir?
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Thanks!! Yes the top is douglas fir, it shows a bit of the pinkish hue of fir, but more or less looks pretty close to spruce. I forgot to mention I included a small sound port, I my initial impression is that it does improve the sound, the influence is more noticeable on some notes, but overall I like it!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Lovely work! I have a Tasmanian Blackwood set I got in trade and am holding on to for something special, and I live in the land of Douglas-fir, so I am very interested to know more. What thickness is the top? D-fir is notoriously splintery; did you find it hard to work? And I'd love to see some more photos . . . Bruce W.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Great looking guitar, your 2nd build ?, maybe I should switch over to birdhouses or something simple. My 6th or 7th or whatever build doesn't look that good.

Bruce,
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Dang I did not keep a note on final thickness, but I would have been aiming for 1/8". I didn't have any troubles with splintering, The top pieces came in pretty good shape, so I only sanded the top surface, but hand planed and then sanded the inside surface, and it flush routed fine to the closed box. Here's a few more pics for you. The woods were from Timeless Instruments in Saskatchewan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Great looking guitar - especially for #2

I am starting #10, and the most "responsive" one I have built was my #2 - and like you, I don't know why
Ed M