First Kit build....

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
FLEMSMITH1

First Kit build....

Post by FLEMSMITH1 »

Just finished the setup on this guitar. Couldn't be happier: with the way it sounds, the quality of the materials John supplied, and how patient he was when I called him in some sort of panic, starting when I glued the neck block into the sides upside down. I have two full pages of mistakes I made and processes I need to improve. Hoping to start the next one soon and eliminate as many of those mistakes as I can.

Roy in Az
tippie53

Re: First Kit build....

Post by tippie53 »

nice geetar
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

That looks great, Roy! Do you like how it sounds? Looks like your lacquer finish worked out fine.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Ain't it a treat to strum that first one? It remains a treat for the others too. Good job
Ed M
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Wow, that's a beauty! I can also attest to Mr. Hall's great patience, kindness, and friendliness. I hope my build can come out as beautiful as yours!
FLEMSMITH1

Post by FLEMSMITH1 »

carld...the lacquer finish. I still have a lot to learn. I didn't realize I should have been 320grit sanding after each days coats, (usually 3 a day) so even though I have about 12 to 16 coats on it, it really only looks good from a few feet away. I also had a time when I was trying to spray at around 100 degrees, didn't realize I needed to use a retarder, and got some rough layers because the lacquer had dried before it hit the guitar. It'll be interesiting to see if I can do better on the next one. I know I should be able to get a decent finish with lacquer. I'm gonna stick with it til I think I know what the total finish process should look like. It's fun to be able to learn from your mistakes and do better the next time.

How does it sound? Still trying to decide. It seems to my old ears to sound just about as good as my D28 clone my brother built for me about 25 years ago; not quite as loud, and the bass is more subtle, but then I just fingerpick.
It takes me some time to play a guitar and decide whether I really like it or not. So far I do like this one playability wise.
Thanks for asking. Roy
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

So what's next on your build list?
FLEMSMITH1

Post by FLEMSMITH1 »

I want to build another 000 and see if I can eliminate or at least greatly reduce the number of mistakes I made in the first one. I have a cedar top and Grenadillo back and sides already bent in the mold. Need to source the neck and kerfing, etc, etc. The materials I have in it so far cost me a total of $30, so I'm thinking it's more a process improvement exercise before I try something with higher quality tonewood. I do like the sound of cedar tops, so it'll be interesting to see how it sounds. I want to try binding the headstock, mebbe even the neck, not sure about that yet. I'm about ready to try a dovetail rather than a bolt on. John's dovetail videos gave me enough confidence to try that change. So, for now I just want to gradually improve what I do, and take on a little more of the build processes I didn't have to do with a kit. I have so much to learn before I worry about making different sizes.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Flem

What is your thinking on why to do a dovetail? Yes it would be interesting, but it is no better. I am on #9 and all are bolt-ons. I glued the fretboard extension to the top of #1, but not since and there has been no downside - very easy to maintain the neck set (which I have had to do with about 1/2 of mine). I had a chance to work with a dovetail on an old Gibson L-00 restoration and they are not difficult once you get your head around the geometry, but I think they are an unnecessary complication.
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

dovetail is a better joint mechanically and shows higher skill
if you want to sell guitars you want to master the dovetail
agreed a well designed bolt on will work for sure and you want to use 2 bolts
the martin tenon was a poor design , now they do a simple dovetail tenon.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com