My First Music Video - MTV Here I Come!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
jbjewitt

My First Music Video - MTV Here I Come!

Post by jbjewitt »

I mixed things up a bit and did a different style of sound and show demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPNWupETvw

As an aside - for any of the sound recording pros --- I'm using my trusty Zoom H4N with the built in mics. Was thinking of changing to a Rode condenser mic with phantom power supplied by the H4N. Any recommendations for mic or other setup? More that one that's seen this has commented the sound is a bit "thin"
-Jeff Jewitt-
Jewitt Guitars
www.JewittGuitars.com

Homestead Finishing Products
www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com
Stray Feathers

Re: My First Music Video - MTV Here I Come!

Post by Stray Feathers »

I'm not sure what people mean when they say it sounds thin. It sounds great to me - both the guitar and the recording method. You will know better than anyone if it sounds the way it ought to sound. Very nicely played too.

I'd like to be able to do this, with some instruments nearing completion. I have a Nikon D810 and a Rode Stereo video mic I use a little for recording wildlife sounds. But I have zero experience recording for youtube and the like, and would love to see a discussion here with tips and guidelines, or links to other useful resources. Thanks for sharing - Bruce W.
jbjewitt

Re: My First Music Video - MTV Here I Come!

Post by jbjewitt »

Sure - I could help anyone out. I was in the same shoes as you.

Basically - for your audio I suggest recording on a separate device. I use a Zoom H4N and they really aren't that expensive for what they do. This has phantom power for your mic if you want to use the Rode or you can use the built in x/y Zoom mics.

You need editing software. I really tried to use Adobe like the rest of the world, but it bogs my computer down and like PhotoShop, you really need to take a class.

I found Sony Vegas Studio - now owned by Magix to be very easy and intuitive.

When you are using two recording cards, just snap your fingers when you start recording so you have a sound to sync to.

Then it's like building guitars - you get better as you make recordings.
-Jeff Jewitt-
Jewitt Guitars
www.JewittGuitars.com

Homestead Finishing Products
www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com