Number 9: OO-12 Fret

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
mjmeehan

Number 9: OO-12 Fret

Post by mjmeehan »

Been awhile since I've posted. This project has been sitting on my bench, in various states of completion, for several years. Recent circumstances have given me more than enough time to finish it up.

It's a OO-12 fret with Maple back and sides, Sitka spruce top and a mahogany neck. I stained the neck black as I was going for a high contrast look. The outside picture of the back shows a strange off color that you don't really see inside, so I took another pic on the pool table.

The neck finish is Tru Oil over shellac with no pore filler(I like the way that feels) and the body is Semi gloss lacquer over shellac. I was going to finish the body with Tru Oil but didn't like the way it darkened the maple, so I shifted gears.

For a maple body the guitar has a very warm, woody tone even with 80/20 bronze strings and I'm very pleased with the sound. Maybe I'll play around with other string styles and see what difference they make.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjmeehan

Re: Number 9: OO-12 Fret

Post by mjmeehan »

Here's the inside pic of the back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice
how did you ebonize the neck?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

I taped off the headplate and fretboard areas and wiped on minwax penetrating stain then sealed it with shellac once it dried. Using an alcohol based stain wasn't going to work with the shellac, it just smeared. Luckily I practiced on scrap.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

I was asked for a close up of the neck and the stain I used so here they are.
After the stain dried I applied enough shellac so that I could gently sand it level without sanding through... come to think of it I didn't sand it at all, I used maroon Scotch Brite, much more gentle in my opinion, Then rubbed on the tru oil.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You could get seasick looking at that wavy back grain! It really pops. Nice job on the finish.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thank you, MaineG.
I got the B&S set from RC Tonewoods.. they offer great products.