Logo Restoration 1935 Supertone Archtop

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Diane Kauffmds

Logo Restoration 1935 Supertone Archtop

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I own a 1935 Supertone archtop. It's in original condition. It has a hand carved, Adirondack top and solid maple sides and back.

The only thing that was strange was the logo and pickguard. Both were from 1946. I found the serial number and mark in the box, for fall of 1935. But, "The Prep" logo was for a cheap Supertone, made after Sears bought Harmony. The same can be said for the pickguard.

There are myriad reasons that one can speculate how these disparate things got married. At any rate, it bugged me.

I had an appropriate pickguard made for the guitar. That was easy. What wasn't quite as easy was the logo.

I finally located a picture of a 1935 Supertone logo, which I downloaded. I put it in photoshop, and made it the right size, and deleted pixels, to make sure it looked old.

I have a film free decal system in gold. I used it to put the logo on the headstock.

While I was at it, I removed the brown paint, and put a burst on the back of the neck, to match the burst on the body. This was also appropriate to 1935.
supertone1.jpg
PicsArt_01-25-01.23.14.jpg
PicsArt_01-25-01.03.56.jpg
PicsArt_07-05-03.55.07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Logo Restoration 1935 Supertone Archtop

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Burst looks great - logo too.

Can you do a tutorial on the film-free decal?

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Burst looks great - logo too.

Can you do a tutorial on the film-free decal?

Ed
Yes Ed. I'll do a whole thing on the decals. They're really nice to have.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Looks great. I love these stories, really glad to see it back in circulation, and +1 on the decal tutorial
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut