New Om Build

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Mal-2

Re: New Om Build

Post by Mal-2 »

OK here's what I meant.
http://www.guitar-muse.com/wp-content/u ... k-back.jpg

The kind of rounded-V shaped curve (which is what your thumb would actually notice) is combined with the traditional triangular (presumably for a scarf joint) volute, and they look weird together, at least to my eyes. That's all. It probably feels just fine, especially if you're used to a Strat neck (which I am).
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Mal-2 wrote:OK here's what I meant.
http://www.guitar-muse.com/wp-content/u ... k-back.jpg

The kind of rounded-V shaped curve (which is what your thumb would actually notice) is combined with the traditional triangular (presumably for a scarf joint) volute, and they look weird together, at least to my eyes. That's all. It probably feels just fine, especially if you're used to a Strat neck (which I am).
The Martin volute (includes both the curved neck transition part and the triangular part) is a carryover from the 19th century neck-to-peghead joint, a sophisticated and very precise joint that is real luthier's art. When the single piece neck volute is executed well, as Mike did with his OM kit, it looks very nice and is traditional. As a player, it's essentially unnoticeable. The Fender bump in your picture above is the back of peghead modeling that is more stylistic than structural. And many, many instruments are made with a smooth simple transition, which is fine too.
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Danl8 wrote:The Fender bump in your picture above is the back of peghead modeling that is more stylistic than structural. And many, many instruments are made with a smooth simple transition, which is fine too.
But he specifically wanted it to feel like an electric guitar neck, and to feel like a Strat, or a Tele (which has pretty much the same volute, just a different headstock shape), it needs to have the same volute. It just gets weird when this requirement is combined with an angled headstock, since it was designed for a straight headstock. It could have been more along the lines of a Gibson Les Paul headstock, and then it wouldn't have been strange because Gibson uses a headstock that is both angled and 3+3. But someone decided it should feel like a Strat or Tele, and mishmashed it with a traditional acoustic headstock. Square peg, round hole, and the result is a visual mess. But as I said, the audience isn't looking at the back of the neck, and the player really shouldn't be either.
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

mike288 wrote: So obviously, Martin makes a guitar with this same volute since the kits come off the production line. I have never disagreed with someone more. I think the volute looks great, and would probably look more awkward without it.
And that's fine. You didn't make it, so I didn't think you'd take it so personally. If it feels and plays great, that's what really matters, but if I saw it hanging on the wall in a shop and picked it up, I'd think "two great things that don't look great together". It probably wouldn't stop me from buying it if everything else was great, but I'd still think it looked funny.

But then, I think flying V guitar bodies look stupid too. However, this might be because when I first saw them, they were always in the hands of guys wearing spandex tights. Obviously there are many guitarists who disagree with my tastes.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've accomplished what you wanted, a guitar with a Martin HD-28 neck, with the correct volute. There was a bit of confusion with the electric guitar reference, but I think we cleared that up.

We all put in a lot of hours, and many times frustration, when we build a guitar, whether electric or acoustic. Each build represents a part of the builder. We stretch our talents and imagination with every build.

Please show respect to each other, and to our work. We all start with an image of what we want; one builder's dream guitar, may not be another's cup of tea. However, there is beauty in each build, and each build is personal.

Even though it may be unintentional, unsolicited criticism can feel like a personal attack. One of the great things about this forum is the offering of knowledge, without criticism.

Let's not allow this forum to deteriorate with infighting.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Mike Baker

Post by Mike Baker »

Sweet looking guitar!