Re: Honduran Mahogany/Carpathian Spruce

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The guitar is on its way to McAllen, TX, for my nephew's birthday. My sprayer broke, so I did last of the nitro by hand. I decided to make the top and neck satin, in contrast with the glossy sides and back. I used micro mesh to achieve the high gloss.

I made a template based on the measurements in the photos of the 1931 OM, on this forum. So the guitar has forward shifted bracing that is narrower, but taller. I have recently gotten a small drum sander, so the top is indeed .100" thick, the back is .095" thick, and the sides are .080" thick.

This is a long scale OM. I know that the pickguard should be more teardrop shaped, but I decided to leave it a bit larger.

I made the bridge and fretboard out of ebony. The nut, saddle, and bridge pins are bone. The end graft is lacewood. The mahogany neck is the first neck that I've carved. I made the neck and tail blocks out of mahogany as well.

My sister-in-law requested that I inlay Will's initials. She later requested that I inlay the word "grandpa", along with the dates of his birth and death. I decided to place them on the bottom of the fretboard. The neck and fretboard, along with the frets, were all completed when she requested the addition. I'm sure it could have been done better, but it'll suffice.

This is a recording of the first playing. Warning, my playing makes cats cry. Make sure you click on the play button at the top, left side of the page.

https://soundcloud.com/d-kauffmds/sinke ... -recording
IMG_2787.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG
IMG_2783.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG
PicsArt_02-18-11.17.40.jpg
IMG_2790.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Nice! I like the pickguard.
Mike Baker

Post by Mike Baker »

Lovely OM.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you all. This was a while back, but I wanted to share with you, his reaction to the guitar. Will was shocked. He cried when he saw the inlay commemorating his grandfather.

His mother asked me to add it at the last minute, after the neck and fretboard were installed. I had to figure out where to inlay it so it wouldn't look crowded.

He loves his guitar.
received_10211316732660695.jpeg
received_10211316738620844.jpeg
received_10211316750301136.jpeg
received_10211316767381563.jpeg
IMG_2787.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Great story. The sound clip is no longer active - would love to hear it. Your inlay work is lovely - did you cut out the initials WK, or can you buy them? If so, where? Your neck looks thoroughly professional.

Ed
Ed M
Cbstark46143

Post by Cbstark46143 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Diane

Great story. The sound clip is no longer active - would love to hear it. Your inlay work is lovely - did you cut out the initials WK, or can you buy them? If so, where? Your neck looks thoroughly professional.

Ed

The clip worked for me by opening Diane’s profile page where the clip is available for play.
I enjoyed the clip.....thanks.
Last edited by Cbstark46143 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cbstark46143

Post by Cbstark46143 »

Ed
Cbstark46143

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I’ll try again....third times a charm....

The clip worked for me by opening Diane’s profile page where the clip was available for play.
I enjoyed the clip......thanks.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Ed
Thank you Ed. I bought all of the inlay from DePaule Supply. I'll have to check the soundbite. It should still be in sound cloud.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hopefully this link works. Also, I don't play the guitar very well at all, so keep that un mind. I make all of the cats in Parkersburg scream when I play!

https://soundcloud.com/d-kauffmds/sinke ... -recording
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars