Jumbo 12 String - Almost Done

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

Re: Jumbo 12 String - Almost Done

Post by johnnparchem »

Great looking guitar. I am not sure how long it would be before I try a 12 string. The setup must be fun.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Nice Bruce! I'm with John, the joy of setting one up and keeping it in tune is enough to keep me from building as 12. Yours looks great!

Ken
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Thanks, folks.

The set-up was not too bad. (Other than having all the strings get into one big spaghetti knot).

I did mess up one of the slots on the nut. But I got to use a technique I learned here on this forum. I just filled it in with CA and some filings I saved from the other slots, then re-cut it.

I set the action based on the bass string of each pair. But I will admit that I did not know whether the string pairs should be set so that the tops or the bottoms of the string pair were the same height. I set the action so that they are aligned at the bottom... Let me know if I did that incorrectly. I now have the skill to fill in and re-cut my slots if I have to raise the treble string of each pair a bit.

Tuning was another matter. The first time I tuned it took about 15 minutes. But with an electronic tuner, it is pretty easy. It stays in tune pretty well, now that the strings have settled in.

The more I play it, the more I love it. It is great for some of those simple "big strumming" songs....

Proud Mary (CCR)
Baby I Love Your Way (Frampton)
Mad World (Tears for Fears)
Give a Little Bit (Supertramp)
Anything from Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, John Denver
etc
etc.

My fret file finally came, so I'll need to make the time to de-string it and finish it up.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I fell in love with the sound of a 12 string in the 60s when Roger McGuinn of the Byrds played one. That was a 12 string electric Rickenbacker.