Cherry parlor guitar is done

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
MaineGeezer

Cherry parlor guitar is done

Post by MaineGeezer »

This is described in the Build blog as Cherry Parlor Guitar Project #2, but I'll post some pictures here under Show It Off! as well.

Top is red spruce that I bought on eBay. It is exceptionally stiff, even for red spruce, which probably contributes to the ice-cracking crispness of the guitar's tone. It's also LOUD, considering its size.

Back, sides, and neck are cherry. Fingerboard, bridge, binding, and head cap are African blackwood.

The fancy bridge pins, tail pin, fret markers, and purfling are from Bruce Petros at purflex.net.

I sawed the snowy owl inlay out of a mother-of-pearl blank, inlaid it, and engraved the lines, which got filled with black ink to make them show up. Considering my lack of artistic ability and that it's my first attempt, I think it came out remarkably well.

Tuners are Gotohs from LMI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MaineGeezer on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Re: Cherry parlor guitar is done

Post by MaineGeezer »

More photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looks great. I like the use of the purflex also the headstock is nicely done.
John J

Post by John J »

Excellent! I like the color variations on the red spruce top.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, it turned out excellent! That cherry is really beautiful, Congratulations.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Artfully done! I'll have to review the blog. Any chance of a sound recording? Given your description of the spruce, and of the sound, I'd like to hear it and know how the top was thicknessed.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I hope I'll have a decent recording of it that I can post soon. I'm trying to arrange a time for a friend of mine, Jud Caswell http://www.judcaswell.com, to try it out. Unlike me, Jud can actually play a guitar so it sounds good! He also has quality recording equipment.

The top got thicknessed to about 0.100", maybe 0.110" to start, then it got sanded down a bit more prior to finishing. I also tried to thin the edges a bit. Carter has a theory that thinning the edges gives the main area of the top more of a chance to move. This wasn't drastic -- the edges may be 0.090" to 0.095". Whether it actually makes a significant difference or not, who knows. Probably the most significant thing about the guitar is the unusual bracing pattern.

In the meantime,this gives an idea of the sound.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Sounds fantastic Steve. Congratulations on another great guitar!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Way to go! Turned out great.
Now on to the next one!!
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Hey, not bad! It has some character to it. Seems fruitwood can contribute nicely to the tone, eh?