Sammyjit Done

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
sammyjit

Sammyjit Done

Post by sammyjit »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yqmraxmh7sdn ... On0Oa?dl=0

So I started in early May with 000/0M guitar parts from CF Martin. With the Help of everyone on the Beginners Forum, I have managed to finish the guitar. It was finished officially on November 1st. I built the guitar, but I sent it out for initial string setup. I really didn't want to invest in more tools. As you will see at the end of the collage of photos, the table I built the guitar on in my dining room. (girlfriend was very cooperative with my guitar project in the middle of the house) And of course I left the table all clean with no hint of mahogany dust anywhere. (FYI-which I found to irritate my sinuses) So...Here it is. My goal was to build a good sounding functional guitar. It has about a 3 foot finish job on it. Just don't get too close. It sounds amazing, and It plays well. There are some minor intonation issues I can hear, however when the wood conforms I will send it for another setup. But it is definitely playable. The finish is just shellac. A very, very, light touch of shellac on the wood to protect it. Not pretty, except for the back and neck. It is amazing how much finish can alter resonance. I had to sand finish off the top just maintain (or get close to) it's original "thump" so to say. The tone is decent. I listened to the change in tone as I added bracing to the top all the way to the gluing of the top. Of course the frequency got higher as more wood was added but I didn't acount for the saddle. So when all was done, the top sounded a little eerie when "thumped" instead of it's original major note that I heard before. Something to remember for next time. It has crazy amounts of resonance. This was one of the coolest projects that I have ever been apart of. I work at an airport as an aircraft mechanic and I find myself into a lot of really neat projects. However, this beats aerospace work all day. I hope to build another next summer. Once again, Thanks to all the patient forum users for the knowledge.

I will be back.

:-)
johnnparchem

Re: Sammyjit Done

Post by johnnparchem »

Congratulations. Looks great in the photos.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Sammyjit Done

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think it looks great! I built both of my guitars on the dining room table and front porch; I had parts and dust scattered throughout the first floor of my house. LOL Congratulations on finishing your guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com