Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Diane Kauffmds

Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The guitar that has tortured me until the last minute is finally finished! As most of you know, I had to scrap my first attempt for various reasons. But it paid off. Even with all of it's warts, it plays surprisingly beautifully. You can feel it vibrate through you and the sustain is the longest of any guitar I've ever played. I'll try to make a decent recording to add to this post.

The inlay turned out well. I took elements that I didn't use for the fretboard and designed the simple motif for the headstock.

It took some searching, but I found a paper on the history of lumber sizing in the US. In 1956, the industry was standardized to 3/4" thick, by law. Downsizing from 1" stared in 1940, in preparation for WWII. The cherry that I used for this guitar, was a scant 1" thick, even after initial planing on both sides. The back is from a billet that was a full 12" x 1", which was not in the inventory of the lumber company, so hey charged me for 8" cherry. I have no doubt that the cherry used in this guitar is at least 60 years old, probably older. It was in a forgotten area in the rafters of the lumber yard. It had a great tap tone, even before I cut it; it's probably the reason for the richness and long sustain.

The specs are:

00-12 fret, short scale 24.9"
4 1/8" deep body
forward shifted X-bracing (engelmann spruce bracing)
White Spruce top
Cherry back and sides
ebony fretboard
ebony bridge
bone nut, saddle, and bridge pins
pommel mahogany wedge
pommel mahogany rosette
curly sapele binding
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

More photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

Great job!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Very nice!
John J

Post by John J »

Looks very nice. Love the figure in that cherry.
Learning every day.
jbutler

Post by jbutler »

Very Nice! I love the Cherry. You don't see it very often on guitars and it turned out beautiful! Please share a sound clip!
John
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

jbutler wrote:Very Nice! I love the Cherry. You don't see it very often on guitars and it turned out beautiful! Please share a sound clip!
John
It's rare to find planks of cherry of this caliber, esp. with the great tape tonal quality. My husband has suggested that we go back to the rafters of the lumber company, to find more wood.

I made a recording, but I made it outside (you can hear the crickets, lol), and the strings were new, so they were still stretching. I hesitate putting it on here, because the first soundbite heard sticks with everyone. I'll try to get a better recording.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
RnB

Post by RnB »

Those woods are rich looking. Nice....!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow, congratulations that is a sweet looking guitar. Great inlay work, I also love the woods you used and the look of the finish.
John J

Post by John J »

Diane, how did you treat the pitch pockets in the cherry? I have a few on the sides of my current build. Also did you do any pore filling on the cherry? I may try French polish on this one.
Learning every day.