The more-or-less copy of a Martin OM is done.

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
MaineGeezer

The more-or-less copy of a Martin OM is done.

Post by MaineGeezer »

I already put a bunch of photos in the Blog Your Project forum, so I won't bother duplicating them here. This link ought to take you to them:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6884&start=130#p39220

Thoughts: It came out better than I ever expected. I'm very pleased.
The hardest part was getting a really good finish. I did shellac and French polishing, which is a heck of a lot of work and definitely has a learning curve. The final result was pretty good, but it's probably the aspect of the guitar I'm least satisfied with.
Building guitars is addictive: I want to know what the next one is going to sound like.
Building guitars, or instruments in general, is a wonderful excuse to buy all manner of tools.
My machine shop background, and the lathe and milling machine in the basement, came in handy.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Re: The more-or-less copy of a Martin OM is done.

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You did a great job on your guitar. It sounds fantastic! Congratulations on making such a fine guitar.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to ask you questions about your techniques. I'm sure I could learn from you, as well as others on this forum.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

A friend of mine is a professional singer/songwriter. I showed the guitar to him, and he really liked it. Unlike me, he's a very good guitar player. Here's a sound clip of him trying out my guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice work Stephen, and it sounds really good too.