Calling this one done!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kevin Sjostrand

Calling this one done!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I've shown some pictures of this one along the way but I am declaring it now done!
It is a crossover. OM body, 20' radiused fretboard, 14 frets at the body.
Sapele B & S with maple bindings.
Sitka spruce top with 9 fan bracing.
Spanish cedar neck.
Ebony fretboard, cocobolo bridge
Madagascar rosewood headstock overlay front, sapele on the back.

I did some porefilling with shellac and sawdust, and some with rosewood colored Timbermate. I guess I like the Timbermate better.
The finish is french polished shellac. I used Zinners Sealcoat cut to a 1lb cut and padded it on ala Robbie's O'Briens finishing video. I tried to follow it best I could.
I did finish with the bridge on.....never again. I had a good reason for gluing the bridge on first but I will avoid that again at all costs.

I let the finish sit for 3 weeks then I rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool and finishing wax. I really like how it feels, came out somewhere between satin and semi-gloss.
I don't care for the fine scratches the steel wool leaves behind, but I will get use to it. Robbie is right, the finish is silky smooth and really is nice in the hands.
My wife says that is how she wants her guitar finished.

I have had strings on this guitar in the white, and tried to reuse those strings, which didn't work out- too short.
In the process of putting them on I realized i forgot to protect the top right behind the bridge, and I do now have a couple little dents there. Oh well the first
of many I'm sure. This guitar was an experiment and overall I'm pleased with how it has turned out. It sounded pretty good in the white, hoping
it will sound better now that it is finished. I'll get new strings on it tonight. My playing is modest but I'll put up a sound bite of how it sounds.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Calling this one done!

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Very attractive guitar! What pattern of bracing did you use on the top?
B Shuler2006

Post by B Shuler2006 »

Really nice guitar Kevin!
Brandon Shuler
Shuler Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

9 Fan bracing
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Boy Kevin, it turned out great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com