2nd Build Complete

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
bearskindrum

2nd Build Complete

Post by bearskindrum »

Hi All, well finally finished my 2nd guitar, another OM, made for my wife. The details are as follows:
Top: Sitka Spruce
Back, Sides and Head plate: Tasmanian "Tiger" Myrtle
Bracing: Adirondack Spruce
Fingerboard and Bridge: East Indian Rosewood
Bindings: Ebony with white laminate
Fret: LMI Gold fret wire
Nut and saddle: bone
Tuners: Gotoh 510's
Finish: French Polish

A big thanks however to some members though for some strategic advice at crucial stages.... especially Brian Howard, Robbie O'Brien, John Hall and all the others whose contributions to this forum are a constant source of both knowledge and inspiration...thank you all.

Kind Regards

Mark Forster-King
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bearskindrum

Re: 2nd Build Complete

Post by bearskindrum »

Three more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

like it
nice rosette indeed
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Great looking guitar. The Tasmanian "Tiger" Myrtle back looks great. Nice head stock shape.
bearskindrum

Post by bearskindrum »

Hi John and John, thanks for the kind words. I neglected to describe the rosette on the specs section of my post. The rosette is Redwood burl. Sonically the guitar has a much greater dynamic range than my first build (also an OM which was somewhat over engineered on my part due to being a novice builder!). The increase in tone in this one, especially in the bottom end, may be due to me not over bracing and shaving/shaping a bit more off the braces, the use of French polish which allows the body to maybe resonate a bit more, the use of Adirondack spruce for the braces and, of course, the Tiger Myrtle wood, which really does sing an awful lot even when just back and side pieces. Maybe its all of the above.

Cheers

Mark

Post by   »

Mark,
That Tasmanian "Tiger" Myrtle is outstanding and surely even more so in person.
You guys 'down under' are fortunate to have some really great species to work with.
Did you happen to keep records of the builds in order to compare when both were complete?
Do you think you might get your hand into the soundhole of the first and do some additional shaving?
bearskindrum

Post by bearskindrum »

Hi Tommyboy, yes we do have some amazing woods down under, for which we are just starting to appreciate the full potential of... New Zealand Rimu and Kauri sets are on sale at LMI and these used to be used as framing and flooring for the construction industry!...unfortunately a lot of the old growth timber is just as rare down here as it is anywhere else on the planet.
I did take some notes and photos of my first build but nowhere as much as I should have and I plan to revisit my No1 and make some adjustments now I Have finished my wife's gat and attacking some of the braces inside is definitely on the cards....
Cheers Mark
Phil

Post by Phil »

Nice!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice looking! Love that Tiger Myrtle. You did a really nice job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

Very nice!