Torrified complete

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
tippie53

Torrified complete

Post by tippie53 »

As you all know I did my first torrified guitar. The top is the color , it wasn't toned at all. The sound on this is more woody . I don't want to say less bright but if you were on an amp , it is like you turned the tone knob down. The sustain is incredible.
Volume is about average , and great note separation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mnmusic

Re: Torrified complete

Post by mnmusic »

I love the look of that torrified top.

Ed
Phil

Post by Phil »

I think that top looks great too
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Comparing the torrified top guitar with standard top guitar.

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Thanks for the video. It did seem to me that the T-top was not quite as brilliant in the high end, but had more sustain in the bass and midrange. But, then again, the sound on my MacBook isn't the best.

The T-top also seemed to have a little more in the way of harmonic overtones when you were strumming a chord ... kind of what you'd expect with an older guitar ... so maybe there's something to that aging process. I kind of hope you keep tabs on those guitars, since I'd like to hear an A-B test after they're both a year old and played in.

Post by   »

I concur with JLT on the greater sustain of the T-top. The harmonics and complexity of tone on the T-top was MUCH greater.
To my ear, the projection of the T-top was less. However, I heard one warm, inviting guitar compared with one that sounded
'cold' and somewhat overly bright and sterile in comparison. I could be happy with either one but given a choice, the T-top would
go home with me. I, too, would like to hear these instruments after a year of playing. Seems we know what the T-top sounds like
out of the box but we're in the dark as far as knowing if there's a break-in period and how the sonics change during that period.
Maybe we need a Tonerite on that T-top for a week or so........................

Is the comparison guitar brand new or has it been broken in?
alexander paul

Post by alexander paul »

the t-top had more mid-range & seemed slightly louder... i also wonder what a bit of time & use/break in will do to the tone... i preferred the t-top...
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Hard to judge with a you tube clip but I found the torrified top lack the bright trebles that I would expect from a dread strung with medium strings. I agree the mid strings popped out a bit more on the torrified top, but that might have been the from the toned down trebles. The bass sounded good on both. All and all I thought the standard guitar sounded great and what I would expect form a good dred. I thought the torrified top sounded ok.

The guitar looks great.
alexander paul

Post by alexander paul »

comparing 3 Blues Creek-37 D-28'S. #1 #-177 is Brazilian Rosewood, red spruce, #2 #185 is East Indian Rosewood & red spruce, #3-is Brazilian torrified, red spruce. #4-is a pre 1860 0 series Brazilian red spruce (gut strings). recorded @ http://double-a-productions.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alexander paul on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
alexander paul

Post by alexander paul »

Last edited by alexander paul on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.