Koa Multiscale OM Finally Done

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Ken Hundley

Re: Koa Multiscale OM Finally Done

Post by Ken Hundley »

Beautiful job...how do you like the sound?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Darren,... Wow... I can't stop looking at it! Truly Amazing!

I always wondered what folks did with their winter time in the Northwoods! Now I know. Superlative work.

Post more pics!!!
darren

Post by darren »

The tuners on both guitars in the one shot are Gotoh mini M6 style. I like them, but haven't used anything much more expensive to compare them too. My next set are Grover open back sta-tights so I'll see what I like better in a few months.

Ken, I really like the sound, gotta figure out how to record something. :)

mj, I wish i could say this was a winter project but this one started in February. (shoulda been last winter's project) Too many things going on and competing for shop time. I spent a lot of time going back and forth over doing multi-scale or not, how much to vary the scales, how to change the bracing etc. It was slow going for sure but worth the wait.
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

Well Tony, you have a few drinks before playing guitar, I have a few drinks before slotting fretboards...

Ha!

this was my slotting jig. by hand... measure 2-3x, mark out frets, loosen wingnut, adjust 1x1 block to angle of first fret, tighten wingnut, clamp fb so saw placed against the block cuts on the line, loosen wingnut, repeat ad nausium...
slotting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Darren, that is one great looking guitar! Really nice work! Congrats!

Can you share a bit how you went about thicknessing the top? I have only used spruce and cedar, and I am curious how you determined how thick the koa should be for the top.

Ken
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks Ken!

I guess the answer is I went until it sounded right.

There aren't a lot of numbers available (that I could find anyway) on koa tops so I went for 3mm which I had read was a starting point for mahogany tops. I give my tops a shake like Robbie O'brien shows in his videos, and you really can hear the difference when the top gets to that musical point. Just under 3mm this top really loosened up so I cleaned it up and didn't really measure again.
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice Darren! Koa is such a beautiful wood and you did it justice.
Slacker......