Blackwood Classical with an Adi top now with video.

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

Blackwood Classical with an Adi top now with video.

Post by johnnparchem »

I strung the guitar up tonight and was finally able to play it. As always it sound bed at first, but I set the action, and cleaned up the top of the saddle allowed the string to stretch a bit so they could stay in tune at least part way through a tune and it sounds good.

This guitar has a red spruce top, African Blackwood back and sides with Tasmanian Blackwood bindings. The bridge is some sort of rosewood. The ebay seller called it Brazilian but it is not. In any case it was a nice looking piece of wood and when carved came is just above 25 grams. I also made the bridge 12 hole.

I also need to trim the saddle. The way it is now I can raise or lower the action a bit by sliding the bridge.

I still need to polish the top, I am just waiting a few days to let the finish cure.

Here are a few pictures. I will post a video but will wait till the weekend to film it.

Last edited by johnnparchem on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
justrfb

Re: Blackwood Classical with an Adi top My #11 guitar.

Post by justrfb »

Beautiful guitar. Nice work...

Sincerely,
Rich
darren

Post by darren »

Very Nice!!
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

So nice. Does the blackwood add weight?
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks guys,

I think that African Blackwood is denser than East Indian Rosewood. I do notice that the guitar seems heavier than my EIR classical built to the same spec.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I finally polished and properly setup my classical guitar. I had one funny issue when intonating the strings. The B string was playing way flat on the 12th fret. I was a bit nervous as I already had the string cutting near the top side of the saddle. I checked the saddle and the nut to make sure I did not have some weird change of angle back in the slot. Ultimately I changed the string with the same brand and it the intonation is right on. I will forget it ever happened. Here are only a few additional photos with the polished top and a link to the u-tube video. It sounds pretty good but I find playing up the neck it is a little more percussive than I would like, maybe it will open a bit, as it has just been set up. Red spruce is an odd top wood anyway for a classical. We will see what happens with time. Over all I am very happy with the results

A few final pictures.

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Blackwood Classical with an Adi top now with video.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John, John, are you in there??? :)
What ever happened to this guitar? Do you still have it? If so, how does it sound now two years later?
New sound clip?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am traveling through viet nam right now. I still have the guitar. It sounds ok. I like my falcate braced guitar better. Maybe I can make comparison video.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Vietnam, no kidding. Interesting place to visit I'm sure, I almost went there in 1972 :)
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Vietnam, no kidding. Interesting place to visit I'm sure, I almost went there in 1972 :)
Took me long time to come here as I also spent my formative years figuring out how not to end up here. I was the class of 1973 the first class where no one was drafted. It is a great place to visit and the people here are very friendly and welcoming.