My first uke

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
John S

My first uke

Post by John S »

Haven't posted here in awhile, but thought I'd take the opportunity to show my latest build. This is a tenor uke I built for an old friend who doesn't play guitar, but does play the uke. He "lent" me a '64 D-28 for about 35 years, so I built him this uke as a thank-you and as interest on the loan. I will deliver it to him out in California in the near future, which is a more suitable place for it, since hukilau's seem to be in short supply here in flyover country.

The particulars: Coco back and side set, Sitka top, and neck wood all from the good folks at RC Tonewoods. Ebony and koa appointments from LMI. I cut the tomo kanji (which means "friend") by hand, and was reasonably pleased with how my first foray into cutting shell turned out. The plan was from Hana Lima 'Ia (with some modifications), as were the Gotoh tuners. The finish is EM6000. As best I can tell, it sounds like a ukulele.

Thanks for looking.

John

Re: My first uke

Post by   »

That instrument is beautifully built and photographed, although I suspect, even after all your effort, you came out ahead in the deal.
Any other lutherie projects you'd like to share??
-tommy
darren

Post by darren »

Just beautiful... a lot of work went into that little guy. :)
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow, well worth showing off! I love all of the detail that went into this instrument.
John S

Post by John S »

Thanks for the nice comments.

Tommy, I've posted pix of a few of my guitars on this forum (or its predecessor) in the past-- I think the last one was in Nov, 2011. I'm working on another one that hopefully I'll be able to share by the end of the Summer.

John

Post by   »

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4725&p=19038#p19038
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Great job John, it is a beauty, and nice to see your work again.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Wow!!...

Sincerely,
Rich