J200 Completed!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
mjmeehan

J200 Completed!

Post by mjmeehan »

I finally finished my J200 build! My second build. Here's the specs...

Top: Engelmann Spruce
Back & Sides: Oregon Myrtle
Binding: Ivoroid
Laminate Neck: Tiger Maple w/ Claro Walnut Center and Rosewood flanks.
Finger board & Bridge: Rosewood
Purfling & Rosette: Abalam w/ B/W/B/W trim

It was quite an adventure building a guitar from the plan. I had the sides bent for me and the neck is from Hanalei Moon. I didn't stain the wood and used spray can nitro to get a gloss finish. Not sure I'll do the gloss again but I didn't want to mute the color of the abalam.

When I first strung it up it sounded very bright and high ended, but it quickly settled in and gained a deeper bass response. For me, one of the neatest parts of playing a newly built guitar is how much they change from day to day.

And, as always, Thanks to everyone here for the help along the way. You all contributed whether you know it or not!

Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darren

Re: J200 Completed!

Post by darren »

Well done!
Darren
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Nicely done. Neat headstock design. Can you compare the b&s wood with any other sound-wise? Love to hear it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Mike,
She is a beaut. You can be proud!

Kevin
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thanks! This style of guitar is something I've wanted for long time. I'm very pleased that I got the chance to build one rather than buy one.

Bob, The wood was described as being tonally similar to maple. It does sound "brighter" than other maple 200's I have played with the big difference being in the low end. Unlike factory jumbo's, where the low end booms, the tone has better balance in my opinion. Still deeper and louder than my dread though. I have to think that the sound port has something to do with the volume. I'm glad I put one on it.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Well done! Love the back and sides!
vacooley

Post by vacooley »

WOW!!! Very beautiful.
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Absolutely Beautiful!!!
Even Gibson would be proud. It's nice to build the guitar you want, and have it sound great too.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Beautiful guitar! I have some maple sitting around waiting....not nearly as clear, a little more wild, but I am thinkin about it.....how does she play? I love the inlay too. Simple and creative.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thanks, Ken. It plays wonderfully. It started out bright and high ended but as it settled in the bass response grew in, plus I tweaked the string angle into the bridge on the low E and A strings which did wonders.

The inlay design was the result of a very long and boring workshop I attended for work. Many doodles later I had the design. When I showed it to my girlfriend and excitedly asked "what do you think?" I got an "oh, hmm that's....different." Oh well, to each their own.

Can't wait to see the maple, that's the wood on this guitar style that I fell in love with.