Tenor-O

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
mjmeehan

Tenor-O

Post by mjmeehan »

I finished this a few weeks ago but fishing season got in the way of picture taking.
It's a tenor guitar, "O" sized body, tuned CDGA with a 23" scale.
Back and Sides are Black Walnut with a Sitka Spruce top. (Thanks RC Tonewoods)
Maple bindings (Thanks John Hall at Blues Creek for all you do)
and a Black Walnut neck (Thanks Chris at Hanalei Moon)
Fretboard and Bridge are ebony (Thanks to Waldron Guitars, who had a tenor bridge after I screwed up my first one!)

Anyway, here are the pics... It sounds great. I couldn't believe how much sound comes out of such a small body. It gets me excited to try it in a six string.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjmeehan

Re: Tenor-O

Post by mjmeehan »

A few more pics... For the finish I used Tru-Oil over Shellac. It's kind of a soft finish but it really does something for the wood. I power buffed it with medium compound and it shined up just like lacquer.
Any resemblance in the headstock design to that of Breedlove Guitars was purely subliminal, not intentional!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice looking guitar. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. I like the sound out of an 0 sized body. Actually it is my favorite sized guitar. With an O sized guitar you will even get a big sound on the low E on a 6 string.

All and all very nice.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Do you play that like a uke, or is it a bass?
Looks nice!

Kevin
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thanks. Nothing fancy on this one. I went for understated.
The closest instrument I can compare it to is a tenor banjo. All the chord patterns are different from a guitar and I can play seven chords now! However, it can be tuned like the top four strings of a guitar or like a uke with the G dropped an octave. I'm going to try and stick it out in this tuning as it has a sweet sound that accompanies a six string well.

John, is your O six string a 12 or 14 fret? And does it make a whole lot of difference?